Contract Staying Away: Hotel Tips Contract Staying Away: Hotel Tips - Page 26
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast
Posts 251 to 260 of 263
  1. #251

    Still gathering requirements...

    Soho has no reputation


    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    60

    Default

    I can recommend some hotels in Basingstoke:

    Red Lion Hotel (B&B)
    Apollo Hotel
    Holiday Inn Basingstoke
    Fernbank Hotel (Bed & Breakfast)
    The Basingstoke Hotel
    The Hampshire Court Hotel - Qhotels
    Central Point Apartments, Basingstoke
    Premier Inn Basingstoke West
    Innkeeper's Lodge Basingstoke

  2. #252

    Banned

    Katherine has no reputation


    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Personally, I always book myself into a half decent hotel for 2 weeks to get a feel of where is best to stay/where posisble drinking colleagues are staying/nice areas of town are etc. Plus I find it helps if you stay somewhere nice to begin with as then you look at your new "working away" location more positively than if you stay in squalor from the start. During this 2 week period I then look for a cheaper option such as a recommended B&B, an Inn with a decent restaurant nearby or more likely renting (ensuring my contract meets my work contract in terms of notice etc.) mainly because I prefer to cook myself a meal a few times a week rather than the lonely meal out with a paper/book etc.

  3. #253

    Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

    WTFH has reached the peak. Play again?

    WTFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    21,848

    Default

    Spot the difference:

    Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Personally, I always book myself into a half decent hotel for 2 weeks to get a feel of where is best to stay/where posisble drinking colleagues are staying/nice areas of town are etc. Plus I find it helps if you stay somewhere nice to begin with as then you look at your new "woring away" location more positively than if you stay in squalor from the start. During this 2 week period I then look for a cheaper option such as a recommended B&B, an Inn with a decent restaurant nearby or more likely renting (ensuring my contract meets my work contract in terms of notice etc.) mainly because I prefer to cook myself a meal a few times a week rather than the lonely meal out with a paper/book etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    Personally, I always book myself into a half decent hotel for 2 weeks to get a feel of where is best to stay/where posisble drinking colleagues are staying/nice areas of town are etc. Plus I find it helps if you stay somewhere nice to begin with as then you look at your new "working away" location more positively than if you stay in squalor from the start. During this 2 week period I then look for a cheaper option such as a recommended B&B, an Inn with a decent restaurant nearby or more likely renting (ensuring my contract meets my work contract in terms of notice etc.) mainly because I prefer to cook myself a meal a few times a week rather than the lonely meal out with a paper/book etc.
    I'm perfect, in a very specific and limited way.
    Hands... out infractions
    Face... the music
    Space... between the ears

  4. #254

    Banned

    Man Utd is on the bench


    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    20

    Default AirBnB

    Scammed on AirBnB - my fault for not doing due diligence but place was a pigsty. I took pics and cancelled immediately on entering the property. I then opened a case in AirBnb's resolution centre.

    It's all gone quiet.

    Anyone had any success in getting a refund?

  5. #255

    bored now

    eek is always on top

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    25,682

    Default

    Personally, I always book myself into a half decent hotel for 2 weeks to get a feel of where is best to stay/where posisble drinking colleagues are staying/nice areas of town are etc. Plus I find it helps if you stay somewhere nice to begin with as then you look at your new "woring away" location more positively than if you stay in squalor from the start. During this 2 week period I then look for a cheaper option such as a recommended B&B, an Inn with a decent restaurant nearby or more likely renting (ensuring my contract meets my work contract in terms of notice etc.) mainly because I prefer to cook myself a meal a few times a week rather than the lonely meal out with a paper/book etc.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  6. #256

    Double Godlike!

    BR14 is always on top

    BR14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Under your kitchen sink
    Posts
    11,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    Personally, I always book myself into a half decent hotel for 2 weeks to get a feel of where is best to stay/where posisble drinking colleagues are staying/nice areas of town are etc. Plus I find it helps if you stay somewhere nice to begin with as then you look at your new "woring away" location more positively than if you stay in squalor from the start. During this 2 week period I then look for a cheaper option such as a recommended B&B, an Inn with a decent restaurant nearby or more likely renting (ensuring my contract meets my work contract in terms of notice etc.) mainly because I prefer to cook myself a meal a few times a week rather than the lonely meal out with a paper/book etc.
    Yeh, - me, too
    Entropy is NOT what it used to be.
    Inertia, however........................

  7. #257

    Banned

    Man Utd is on the bench


    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Man Utd View Post
    Scammed on AirBnB - my fault for not doing due diligence but place was a pigsty. I took pics and cancelled immediately on entering the property. I then opened a case in AirBnb's resolution centre.

    It's all gone quiet.

    Anyone had any success in getting a refund?
    48 hours on and still nothing other than lies to fob me off.

    It seems that AirBnB are enablers of scammers and fraudsters.

  8. #258

    Double Godlike!

    LondonManc is a fount of knowledge


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Work-life balance nirvana
    Posts
    12,057

    Default

    I've never used Air BnB while booking accommodation, generally sticking with Trivago or Booking.com. While Trivago offer more deals, I prefer booking.com's map interface for finding places.

    For Manchester to London trains, book on Virgin - trainline charge a quid more and you can't change your seat reservation from the default one, which proves very handy to grab a first class seat on the off-peak, declassified 6:57 northbound on Thursdays and Fridays.

    If you haven't got a seat reservation, there's a great app called Euston Platforms, which confirms the train platform a few minutes before the main boards and Virgin lounge at Euston.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

  9. #259

    Should post faster

    HugeWhale is a permanent contractor


    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Hartford, Cheshire
    Posts
    161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LondonManc View Post
    I've never used Air BnB while booking accommodation, generally sticking with Trivago or Booking.com. While Trivago offer more deals, I prefer booking.com's map interface for finding places.

    For Manchester to London trains, book on Virgin - trainline charge a quid more and you can't change your seat reservation from the default one, which proves very handy to grab a first class seat on the off-peak, declassified 6:57 northbound on Thursdays and Fridays.

    If you haven't got a seat reservation, there's a great app called Euston Platforms, which confirms the train platform a few minutes before the main boards and Virgin lounge at Euston.
    Book on East Midland, they're usually at least half the price. On trainline, click the link on the bottom that says something like 'see if slower trains are available' you can also access the East Midland trains from their own website. You can get a return for tomorrow from Hartford (where I live in Cheshire so it's comparable, also stops at Crewe) to London for £79. The same (edit: a very similar) ticket on Virgin is £221 (just checked).
    Last edited by HugeWhale; 21st May 2018 at 14:24.

  10. #260

    Godlike

    Lance - scorchio!

    Lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    home
    Posts
    5,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HugeWhale View Post
    Book on East Midland, they're usually at least half the price. On trainline, click the link on the bottom that says something like 'see if slower trains are available' you can also access the East Midland trains from their own website. You can get a return for tomorrow from Hartford (where I live in Cheshire so it's comparable, also stops at Crewe) to London for £79. The same (edit: a very similar) ticket on Virgin is £221 (just checked).
    flying can be cheap as well.
    Usual Leeds/Bradford to Heathrow return is around £130
    A bit more for Manchester, but I've just found one to City airport, and return from Heathrow for £120.
    See You Next Tuesday

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •