• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Bye Bye Cameron Thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blunkett has been calling the Liberals Harlots

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      Blunkett has been calling the Liberals Harlots
      They're currently negotiating over price so he's not far wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        Before the election Clegg said he would do a deal with the party who gained the highest number of seats (or something to that effect), so a failure to carry out that promise would make him look a lying toe-rag in the electorate's eyes no?
        No. He said whoever got the most seats should get first bite of the cherry. It would be wrong for him to simply hook up with whoever that was regardless of clashes on key policies... that's forming a government for the sake of it.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
          Well the SDLP take the Labour whip, so effectively they are Labour MP's

It's quite possible that the coalition may lose individual votes, but the key votes are motions of confidence. In those cases, all the coalition will fall into line because of one simple reason. The labour whips will go running round the coalition and say "If you force a general election, the Tories will get an overall majority, and then you will have zero influence. Better to keep propping us up, so you can flex your muscles every now and then - rather than bring us down and you end up with nothing".

Self preservation is a powerful motivator.
          I do take your point but I do think that it would be extraordinarily difficult to maintain that amount of discipline for very long.

Comment

The LibDems just want the government to last long enough for a PR system.

Not sure they're going to get it though, for starters all Conservative voters will be voting against it, then it's an uphill struggle to get 80% of the remaining vote, coz any hardnosed Labour voter will be against it.

...hmmm looks like a a few months of feeble government.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
              I do take your point but I do think that it would be extraordinarily difficult to maintain that amount of discipline for very long.
              The discipline will remain for as long as the opinion polls show that

a) The voters remain livid with the coalition for the back-room dealings
              b) The Tories would win outright in an impending general election

Once that changes, then they'll start putting on their parts trying to force a general election - all without appearing to be doing such, so as not to incur the wrath of the voters.

Comment

Interesting thing is the Lib-Dems will only be able to get PR when they're actually getting 35-40% of the vote...and then guess what, they won't want it any more.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  No. He said whoever got the most seats should get first bite of the cherry. It would be wrong for him to simply hook up with whoever that was regardless of clashes on key policies... that's forming a government for the sake of it.
                  "I have said that whichever party gets the most votes and the most seats has the first right to seek to govern, either on its own or by reaching out to other parties and I stick to that view.

"I think it is now for the Conservative Party to prove that it is capable of seeking to govern in the national interest."
                  It's meaningless and disingenuous statement if by that he didn't mean support. What was the point in saying it otherwise, especially with detail in regard to the number of seats and votes.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    Like Liam Fox you mean?

Bloody hell - that'ed do it...

I like Dave, I can't see a problem with him.
                    I agree with Nick
                    +50 Xeno Geek Points
                    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Matt cartoons witty political cartoons and satirical sketches - Telegraph

Comment

Working...
                      X