• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has IR35 been scrapped yet?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    I refer the honourable member to the point I am trying to make and the question I would like answered.

So far I've had "it's complicated on the continent and you wouldn't like it"
    Ohhhh, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      Don't confuse "being part of a coalition" with having any real say in governing the country.

The Lib-Dems are holding on to the Conservatives coat-tails so they can have a sniff at power - snivelling little gobshytes the lot of 'em.
      I appreciate it's not the same. However having David Laws as Chief Secretary to the Treasury isn't good, because a lot of policy decisions will go through him on the way to the Chancellor.

Now George Osborne can overrule him, but will he feel particularly minded to do so. I doubt it on such an item as this.

The point is that the Tories never seemed particularly keen on scrapping IR35 in the first place. Any additional pressure from the LibDems - however small - will probably be enough.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        (I wasn't terribly impressed with that piece of doom-mongering in CUK News..)
        Our article was not intended to be 'doom mongering', it was a case of a reader sending us a communication that we felt contractors should be made aware of, it merely stated that scrapping IR35 wouldn't solve all the problems, although a review would take place: "Having consulted with business tax professionals and freelancers, it is clear that simply scrapping IR35 would not resolve many of [the] issues around the taxation of small businesses...So instead a Conservative Government would undertake a fundamental review of small business taxation matters, including IR35."

Which doesn't differ greatly from the letter to the PCG dated 31st March 2010, where Mark Prisk writes "At this stage, we believe there remain some uncertainties about the tax implications of the abolition of 1R35. Given the current state of the public finances, I am sure that you will understand we are taking a cautious approach towards making any commitments which may be perceived as increasing the deficit...a Conservative Government would undertake a fundamental review of small business taxation matters, including 1R35"

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
          Now we are in political utopia (for many on here) just wondering when IR35 will be scrapped?
          Yes, let's face it we've had the new government for hours now and we've still got IR35!

FSS, it's far more important than the trillion pound deficit built up under Bliar and Brownstuff, much more important than the dire health service, the tulipe edukashun system, the rampant violent crime levels, and let's not forget the massive levels of unemployment created under 13 years of Labour mismanagement.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
            Now we are in political utopia (for many on here) just wondering when IR35 will be scrapped?
            When will immigration be capped?
            When will benefits be cut?

Hesseltine is currently on QT blaming the economic problems on the World Economy, just like Gordon Brown used to do.
            LOL! No but loads of dozy twats were hoping IR35 especially was for the chop. Bet they're hanging themselves on the PCG forum!
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              It's probably been said before but what would be wrong with a CIS style card scheme?

There's a whole industry built up from contractors pay issues, surely clients would be more likely to hire direct, no need for tax insurance, agents, tax lawyers and accountants would got to the wall.

Win+win+win+win+win... I can see where the resistance will be coming from.
              Yep a whole industry built up on IR35 and no wonder Ms Cottrell and her ilk is full of doom & gloom predictions bout ir35, its the ilk of tax insurance, agents, tax lawyers and accountants who have made money out of us that needs ir35 to keep going!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                WNFS with knobs, bells and whistles on.

We see you Tory bastards. (c) Steve Bell 1982.
                The only party that has simplified tax in the last 100 years are the Torys.

1997-2010 Labour made things worse. Much worse.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  The only party that has simplified tax in the last 100 years are the Torys. 1997-2010 Labour made things worse. Much worse.
                  Taxes were simpler under the Romans...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Taxes were simpler under the Romans...
                    Did they have Uber?

Oh, I thought you said taxies....

Comment

Working...
                    X