• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has IR35 been scrapped yet?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has IR35 been scrapped yet?

Now we are in political utopia (for many on here) just wondering when IR35 will be scrapped?
    When will immigration be capped?
    When will benefits be cut?

Hesseltine is currently on QT blaming the economic problems on the World Economy, just like Gordon Brown used to do.
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

"... simply scrapping IR35 would not resolve many of [the] issues around the taxation of small businesses... We would mandate the new Office of Tax Simplification to conduct this review, with the aim of creating a comprehensive and lasting regime." - High-ranking official at Conservative HQ.

Translated, this means "We will ensure that you're all caught by IR35. No exceptions. Give us the money."

HTH.

Comment

I must admit, I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm not going to do a Kate Cottrell though, I'll be happy to see the back of it.

(I wasn't terribly impressed with that piece of doom-mongering in CUK News..)
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

This is not a troll - just thought I'd say that at this juncture...

Ok, here goes...

Do you not think you lot who keep whinging about IR35 and the amount of NI and Tax you pay should shut up and pay up?

At least half of you only run your own companies because it was the only way to deal with the agencies.

Even if you paid your fair share you'd still be making a few quid.

There, said it.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          Do you not think you lot who keep whinging about IR35 and the amount of NI and Tax you pay should shut up and pay up?
          Well that depends doesn't it; Do companies like Logica, Cap Gemini, HP, Fujitsu <AN-OTHER> want a market where they do not need to keep a bench because there is an open market in freelance professionals? Professionals that are happy to hop in and perform a skill for the life of a project and then hop off with a weeks notice when its done rathter than demand redundancy?

If the answer is yes; Then that service is a distinct business model that should be subject to _Business_ rules. Because as a contract based consultant we outsource our training, HR developement, equipment costs and the general permie drama. We then bring experince and knowledge to the party.

Where we have come unstuck is where helpdesk & support workers or other junior people got in on the game. I regularly find junior dba's and sys admins that need to be told what to do all day. They are a different case and should be agency staff like the typist. There is no way you can sit in a call centre and say you are an independent business its a bad joke, and I'm not surpised that we are getting unwanted attention.

I personally feel that the law got aimed at the wrong end of the industry. If the likes of HP were getting sued day in day out for tax evaision for attempting to avoid NICs for staff they clearly controled; then the market would correct itself overnight and the perma-temps would be sorted from the contractors.

Comment

Yes, many roles filled by contractors could probably be filled by permies, no argument there. But to say that I should be treated exactly the same as a perm is ridiculous. The level of security, sick pay, training, redundancy, compassionate leave, DIS insurance, medical etc, etc. are in no way comparable, give me a 20% allowance for expenses and we can talk.
            Not taking any risks ? I have been out of work for a year in total in the last 4, spent thousands on training, I got 3 hours notice of contract termination in one role. I am taking risks that looked like they would cost me my house at one stage.
            Any surplus accrued in the company has been used to keep me off benefits for the time between paid contracts. I am happy for things to be fair but to say right, you are getting none of the benefits which must be worth an extra 25% on any salary but have to pay tax as if you were getting them is a joke.

Comment

WHS^ The counter argument doesn't exist as a permanent position isn't on offer, if they want to go down that route then they need to punish the client.

It's the governments failure to give us a sensible option that has pushed most of us down the Ltd Co route.

Extremely punitive or seemingly over generous? Not a a hard decision is it. Some middle ground to reflect real costs and uncertain circumstance would most probably be acceptable.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Would you rather be self employed?

Is it a viable option for your average IT contractor if the Tax/NI charge back rules were removed?
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  Would you rather be self employed?

Is it a viable option for your average IT contractor if the Tax/NI charge back rules were removed?
                  (most)Agencies(in the UK) won't touch you if you're self employed.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    (most)Agencies won't touch you if you're self employed.
                    I thought that was because of the Tax/NI charge back rule (if you don't pay, they get shafted).
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X