• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Frank Field given government role

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frank Field given government role

FRANK FIELD, the senior Labour backbencher, has been given a role in the new coalition government leading a review into tackling poverty.Frank Field given role as poverty czar by Cameron - Times Online
    He may be a Labour MP, but he's a man of principles. I must say Cameron looks serious about repairing broken Britain and has gone up in my estimation (of being a Blair style over substance clone). Shame he's been handed near a impossible task and is on a hiding to nothing.

Dear Frankie,

Here is how you reduce poverty in he UK: let the poor earn a living. Simples.

You do this by creating greater demand for local labour through constraining the supply from of external sources. If employers complain that they cannot find the skilled people they need in the UK then tell them they will have to invest in the workers that are available.

You'll have to have a word with the Department of Education to make them do their bit too.

Also you'll need to eliminate the minimum wage and many of the welfare payments so that a properly operating market in labour can operate.

Don't forget to get rid of all those stupid background checks that stop people working and keep an eye on other forms of discrimination by employers such as against the old, or those with previous health issues, etc.

HTH.

HAB.
    Last edited by HairyArsedBloke; 16 May 2010, 11:40.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I must say Cameron looks serious about repairing broken Britain and has gone up in my estimation (of being a Blair style over substance clone)
      I have the same initial impression. It's as if he realises that he's almost guaranteed to lose the next election (once the cuts take effect) unless he pulls out some real achievements. Time will tell, but at least he's trying..

Of course taking on board people outside your party into the government isn't new. Anyone remember "a government of all the talents" eg Digby Jones and the others?
      Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
        Also you'll need to eliminate the minimum wage and many of the welfare payments so that a properly operating market in labour can operate.
        And also stop taxing those in poverty by raising the tax thresholds:

the Joseph Rowntree Trust has done a couple of surveys asking what people thought was a reasonable definition of poverty. The pre tax number was around £13,400: which equates very nicely to that £11,500 or so post tax. linky
        This would make the workforce at these income levels cheaper to hire and hopefully create more jobs as a result.
        Last edited by Sysman; 16 May 2010, 15:44.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

What a quite horribly sensible comment HAB, your'e slipping.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Agree

Truly a Government of all the talents.

A straight up and honest MP is worth using regardless of his political affiliations.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It's also a reproach to Labour, because Tony Blair gave Field a role and told him to "think the unthinkable", only to sack him when he did.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

This will be a case of "too many cooks" - mark my words.

IDS has this all sewn up and does not need Frank Fields in there shouting loudly. His heart might be in the right place but the reason he's not kept any top jobs is his inability to compromise. I predict more of the same and an early exit.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                  Dear Frankie,

Here is how you reduce poverty in he UK: let the poor earn a living. Simples.

You do this by creating greater demand for local labour through constraining the supply from of external sources. If employers complain that they cannot find the skilled people they need in the UK then tell them they will have to invest in the workers that are available.

You'll have to have a word with the Department of Education to make them do their bit too.

Don't forget to get rid of all those stupid background checks that stop people working and keep an eye on other forms of discrimination by employers such as against the old, or those with previous health issues, etc.

HTH.

HAB.
                  I think Frank must've been listening, he was on t'wireless this morning saying most of what you've suggested.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    I think Frank must've been listening, he was on t'wireless this morning saying most of what you've suggested.

Well he can't have been posting on here. Someone said he was a man of principle. Haven't seen any of those!!
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X