• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cornwall for holidays

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Oh... take a trip to Scilly Islands. Absolutely stunning especially if you get a little boat to any island except St. Mary's, the only one with roads and cars. St. Agnes/Gugh are two islands joined by a Sandbar, Tresco has amazing gardens, Bryher has the Hell Bay Hotel, Sampson is uninhabited... we sailed there one year and had the whole island to ourselves once the day trip boats left.

You can get a boat (2hr) or helicopter (20min) from Penzance, or I think a toy plane from somewhere.

I'd go there ASAP. With man-made global warming rampant and the hockey stick rising temps, the Scilly Isles will be gone within a few short years.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      I'd go there ASAP. With man-made global warming rampant and the hockey stick rising temps, the Scilly Isles will be gone within a few short years.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        If you get the chance, look up a place called Kynance Cove, it's like something from a Famous Five story.
        Definitely WHS - wonderful place....

There are some fine eateries in Porthleven that are worth checking out too.
        Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Word of warning: public transport in Cornwall is crap, and gets crapper the further into the boonies you get.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

Worth it or should I just jet off somewhere?

i think many people on here would agree

Comment

Originally posted by Boudica View Post
              i think many people on here would agree
              Sorry but I am sure most people on here do not agree to questions.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                Word of warning: public transport in Cornwall is crap, and gets crapper the further into the boonies you get.
                Absolutely. Although train down to Penzance is OK if you wanted to hire a car there.

The branch line Penzance->St.Ives is rather lovely, or it was 20 years ago anyhow, we moved to Cornwall after holidaying there as a child.

And, yes Porthleven is cool. Especially if you get a storm, it's frequently shown on the news:

Last edited by d000hg; 19 May 2010, 21:17.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  get the sleeper train from London to Penzance
                  I've never understood how that works - surely it can't take more than 4 hours. Hardly a good night's kip.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
                    I've never understood how that works - surely it can't take more than 4 hours. Hardly a good night's kip.
                    They don't thunder through the countryside at 120mph at night, more like 40mph.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I prefer Devon.... not least cos it seems to take about 3 days less to get there....

But the Hotel in Carbis Bay has some pretty nice/plush apartments...... and its only a few minutes along the coast to St Ives (train or even walk along the coastal path)

Comment

Working...
                      X