Adobe Flash Security Update Tries to Install McAfee Adware Adobe Flash Security Update Tries to Install McAfee Adware
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 21

My post count is Majestic

NickFitz is always on top

Default Adobe Flash Security Update Tries to Install McAfee Adware

There's a security update available for critical vulnerabilities in Adobe's Flash Player. However, Adobe will try to install McAfee Security Scan Plus as well when you go to install it (the checkbox is enabled by default).

If you're wondering, this isn't a product designed to make your computer safer as such: it's a marketing tool that will try to persuade you to buy McAfee products which you probably don't need on the basis of nebulous suggestions that you may be at risk

Remember to uncheck that checkbox when you go to download your security update

More fingers than teeth

TimberWolf is too good to be a permie

My McAfee subscription (that came with my new system) runs out in a few days and I think I'm going to go commando, i.e. stick with whatever security comes with Vista only. Some of the MS stuff had to be turned off as it wasn't compatible with McAfee and I can't remember what it was now. If I can remove McAfee - it's constantly bugging me for renewal (i.e. money) at the moment. Can't say I've had a problem with it, except its conflict with Vista security, but my visits to dodgy sites has been limited as much as possible.

NickFitz is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by TimberWolf View Post
    My McAfee subscription (that came with my new system) runs out in a few days and I think I'm going to go commando, i.e. stick with whatever security comes with Vista only. Some of the MS stuff had to be turned off as it wasn't compatible with McAfee and I can't remember what it was now. If I can remove McAfee - it's constantly bugging me for renewal (i.e. money) at the moment. Can't say I've had a problem with it, except its conflict with Vista security, but my visits to dodgy sites has been limited as much as possible.
    I don't know if it's automatically installed on Vista, but if not, Microsoft Security Essentials is supposed to be good

More fingers than teeth

Quote Originally Posted by NickFitz View Post
    I don't know if it's automatically installed on Vista, but if not, Microsoft Security Essentials is supposed to be good
    Yeah, that's one of the things that I couldn't install recently, thanks for the reminder. I think there was something else that normally comes bundled and working with Vista that was switched off, which I expect I'll find when the time comes.

Double Godlike!

Spacecadet is a permanent contractor

Quote Originally Posted by NickFitz View Post
    I've been using that with windows 7 and it flags stuff up as a risk which is good, hasn't done much in the way of false positives and it never feels like its thrashing the system or doing anything which would detract from my windows experience.
    Have a google round, from what I saw 6 months ago when I last checked MSE compared vary well against the big AV players
    Coffee's for closers

Godlike

Clippy has no reputation

Another vote here for Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE).

Have been using it since its release without any dramas.

Timber - I suspect you are thinking of Windows Defender which, I believe, was incorporated into MSE.

Double Godlike!

Moscow Mule is too good to be a permie

All the windows pcs and VMs in the house & business are now running MSE.

It's the puppies nuts. No virus drama since it came out, no unnecessary caning of system resources, free. Couldn't be happier.

Still have to be careful of phishing via telephone though. Dirty cnuts.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

d000hg - scorchio!

Does anyone know what exactly the Windows Malicious Software tool does? Is it looking at specific pieces of malware, or what? They make sure to tell you it doesn't replace a full AV system and I never saw it do anything (like flag a file), so what's it do?

And I've heard very good ratio of praise:complaints for MSE too. No doubt MS don't dare distribute anti-virus with the OS in case they get sued again for making their OS too good
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

More fingers than teeth

Quote Originally Posted by Clippy View Post
    Another vote here for Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE).

Have been using it since its release without any dramas.

Timber - I suspect you are thinking of Windows Defender which, I believe, was incorporated into MSE.
    Yes, Windows Defender rings a bell, or perhaps Windows Firewall. Once I remove McAfee (which hopefully will go quietly when its subscription lapses), I'll make sure all is turned back after I install MSE. In fact I'll do a full system scan with McAfee now and delete the beggar - its requests for renewal are annoying.

Godlike

Doggy Styles is a permanent contractor

Quote Originally Posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Yes, Windows Defender rings a bell, or perhaps Windows Firewall. Once I remove McAfee (which hopefully will go quietly when its subscription lapses), I'll make sure all is turned back after I install MSE. In fact I'll do a full system scan with McAfee now and delete the beggar - its requests for renewal are annoying.
    McAfee does not go quietly. You've got to eradicate it. It is like a f***ing virus.