• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Currently reading ....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    St Paul's letter to the Romans
    To paraphrase...

"Veni, Vidi, volo in domum redire"

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      For light reading, the last of the Stig Larsson trilogy and can't wait for the DVD released this week I think
      Mrs PL is currently ploughing through them and seems to be enjoying.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        Mrs PL is currently ploughing through them and seems to be enjoying.
        They are indeed very unique and enjoyable - keeping me up at night. Shame he died young.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.

Quite a page turner, and I've read 300 pages so far (nearly half), but have recently been too busy to carry on.

It's about a vampire who seems to have a major problem with librarians and antiquarians rooting through old papers.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Quite a page turner, and I've read 300 pages so far (nearly half), but have recently been too busy to carry on.

It's about a vampire who seems to have a major problem with librarians and antiquarians rooting through old papers.
            That is a really good book, I bought it a few years back, i think I might read it again soon.

In the meantime, I'm reading "I drink, therefore I am" by Roger Scrutton
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Currently reading the Truman Capote short story collection.

Here.

Most excellent.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Do yourself a favour - put this book beyond reach. Bin it, burn it.

A truly awful, pointless waste of time. A story that could be done in 1/10 of the book is instead drawn out to 600+ pages. Starts off well enough, but then quickly descends to a mind-numbing, totally uninteresting, painful crawl.

I soldiered on and read it to the end. I will never get that time back in my life. You can, just stop, now!

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post

A truly awful, pointless waste of time. A story that could be done in 1/10 of the book is instead drawn out to 600+ pages. Starts off well enough, but then quickly descends to a mind-numbing, totally uninteresting, painful crawl.

I soldiered on and read it to the end. I will never get that time back in my life. You can, just stop, now!
                  Each to their own
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post

I can imagine it's a bit cerebral and low key for some peoples' taste, more like a spooky detective story or an M R James ghost story than a full-on vampire blood fest.

But then some people prefer that understated ambience and style, and she does have a knack of leading one on, with little surprises every page or two.

But you're right in that it does go on a bit, and she probably could have whittled it down to 500 pages.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Batman Year One - Frank Miller

Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                      X