• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Currently reading ....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sniper One: The Blistering True Story of a British Battle Group Under Siege; Dan Mills

Excellent read, very well written and interesting. Comical in places, tragic in others.

We all saw it at once. Half a dozen voices screamed 'Grenade!' simultaneously. Then everything went into slow motion. The grenade took an age to travel through its 20 metre arc. A dark, small oval-shaped package of misery the size of a peach ...

April 2004: Dan Mills and his platoon of snipers fly into southern Iraq, part of an infantry battalion sent to win hearts and minds. They were soon fighting for their lives.

Back home we were told they were peacekeeping. But there was no peace to keep. Because within days of arriving in theatre, Mills and his men were caught up in the longest, most sustained fire fight British troops had faced for over fifty years.

This awe-inspiring account tells of total war in throat-burning winds and fifty-degree heat, blasted by mortars and surrounded by heavily armed militias. For six months, they fought alone: isolated, besieged and under constant enemy fire. Their heroic stand a modern-day Rorke's Drift.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Just listened to the Paul McGann Dr Who series from Big Finish. Actually very good.
      Am now listening to the Modern Scholar book about the Cold War.
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Enjoyed it a lot.

He was very impressed with the 50 cal that the Septics turned up with.

The towelheads weren't quite so impressed though.

1000 yards?

No problemo.

End of towelhead.
        1000 yards? And the rest

More like 2500 metres

(although it's generally pot luck much over 2000 metres)

Comment

Rabbit Run - John Updike.

I've never read any of the Rabbit books before but I'm really enjoying this. I have to confess the main character isn't that sympathetic - quite a cynical individual in fact but there's some good black humour in there.

Comment

You can do 1000 yards with 7.62 if you're good enough.

I can't remember the exact range with the Barrett but I don't think it was 2000 metres.

Certainly the towelhead thought he was safe.
            Just over a mile. Not 3.2k+.

Sorry.... i meant not 2k+. Not not 2 miles+.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
              Mill on the Floss by George Elliot.

I'm 100 pages in and I don't think I can take any more. Page after page of frumpy old dames sat around drinking tea and gossiping. Truly awful. If it doesn't get any better in the next 10 pages, in the bin it goes & I'm going back to Tom Clancey.

Feck this culture sh1te.
              I did finish it in the end but it was hard work. Some interesting social comment in there I suppose but not a juicy rural tragedy like a Thomas Hardy novel. Too much sitting around gossiping and yelling 19th century exclamations at one other. Apparently Jane Austen is like this so I'll be giving her a wide berth.

Currently on A Farewell To Arms by Hemingway. There seems to be a lot of drinking going on....
              Last edited by wurzel; 11 July 2014, 09:51.

Comment

Stand Before Your God: An American Schoolboy in England; Paul Watkins; 1995

Loved his laconic style, and laugh-out-loud moments, plus his adventures and trials and tribulations bought back memories of my time at boarding school a few years earlier. He has now written several other novels, some which I plan to try.

Germania: A Personal History of Germans Ancient and Modern; Simon Winder

Bought this yesterday in a charity shop, and it first skim it looks pretty interesting and entertaining. But it has had mixed reviews on Amazon. So I guess we'll see.

"

Comment

The new Peter F Hamilton is utterly unreadable.

So gone back to Ian Mortimer's Time Traveller's guide to Elizabethan England while waiting for the next book in Ben Aaronovitch's Folly series
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Currently reading the Man-Kzin war series of books set in Larry Niven's "Known Space". Some of the stories are really rather good sci-fi. Others are just a good read. But the quality is quite high and a lot of fun.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Wosit bout?
                      Its here The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Chronicle of the Fallers 1) eBook: Peter F. Hamilton: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X