• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Currently reading ....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forensics by Val McDermid

Interesting look at the myths and realities of CSI (from a UK perspective, which makes a refreshing change).

Started with the shooting of PC Sharon Beshenivsky in 2005 and the steps taken to find the perps.

Comment

Norse Mythologies Neil Gaiman

Very good read
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Everywoman: One Woman's Truth About Speaking the Truth by Jess Phillips
        First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Not Tonight, Josephine: A Road Trip Through Small-Town America – George Mahood
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Comment

Reading Sam Hughes - Fine Constant

Seriously hard sci-fi. I think my brain is starting to leak out of my ears...
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                With handy pitchfork for when one needs one's butler to shoo them away

Comment

Fine Structure by Sam Hughes

If you like hard science fiction.

Comment

Just Mercy by Bryan Stephenson.

Stephenson has worked for over 30 years trying to reverse miscarriages of justice. Most of his clients are black, because there are way more of them.

He's persuaded the Supreme Court to rule that the death penalty and imprisonment without possibility of parole for people convicted as children is unconstitutional, and obtained the release of many people massively unfairly sentenced to death or imprisonment without the possibility of parole. He's forced many retrials where evidence supportive of the defendant was withheld, or juries were appointed who were self-confessedly biased. And he's successfully forced prisons to reform the most egregious abuses of prisoners, especially towards the disabled, children and women.

But it's all in a readable, non-preachy, non-judgemental manner. The US justice system seems FUBAR at times, but reading this gives a little hope.

Comment

Ra by Sam Hughes

If you like hard and really weird science fiction.

Comment

Working...
                      X