• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Currently reading ....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Fine Structure by Sam Hughes

If you like hard science fiction.
    Bought it, should be interesting. One of the reviews said it’s a bit all over the place but great concepts and ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      Bought it, should be interesting. One of the reviews said it’s a bit all over the place but great concepts and ideas.
      Bought both of them - thanks guys.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        Ra by Sam Hughes

If you like hard and really weird science fiction.
        Meh. I recently re-read Alastair Reynolds' "Revelation Space" series hoping it would make more sense read in succession. What a disappointment, it starts like he could've been the next Iain M Banks and peters out into an overly complex anti-climax.

Speaking of which, I've started re-reading the Culture novels (IMB). Read Walking on Glass recently, hadn't read it since I was at school.

Also reading Michael Palin's diaries.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
          Bought both of them - thanks guys.
          New one. There Is No Antimemetic Division. What's weird is, I'm sure I've already bought it and read it, but it isn't on my kindle. You'll have to read it to understand why that's weird.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Lord Hornblower

Comment

I thought the other stuff was hard science fiction. Now I'm reading Greg Egan - Diaspora. Intelligent life forms living in fourier analysis. 12 dimensional space. And virtualisation of reality.

At least on his website he has diagrams explaining some of the concepts.

Comment

Bindi by Nnedi Okorafor. It's a triology of Sci-fi/horror novellas. The first one won Hugo and Nebula awards. It's very different and quite mind expanding, as proper sci-fi should be.

Just finished The Quantum Magician by Derek Künsken. A nice bit of hard sci-fi/space opera/heist. Fun to read.

Before then, Obama's autobiography. Surprisingly well written (I usually find politician memoires to be a bit dull). While I don't agree with all is politics, and of course understanding he's going to make himself look good, it's a fascinating insight into US politics. If John "Oven Chips" McCain has memoirs out covering the period when he stood against Obama, I'd like to read them.

Comment

Are there two 'currently reading' threads or have we lost a load of posts?

I think there might be a CUK Book Club thread, perhaps? Maybe a merge of the two would be a good idea?

Comment

Currently reading Elements of programming interviews in python - The insiders' guide; A Aziz et al; CreateSpace (2016)

Packed full of coding hints, tips, and examples, and geared for preparing for sadistic programming problems set at interviews!
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      Are there two 'currently reading' threads or have we lost a load of posts?

I think there might be a CUK Book Club thread, perhaps? Maybe a merge of the two would be a good idea?
                      You are right. But I daren't do it until Nick confirms its working.

Comment

Working...
                      X