• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can anybody recommend a good book?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
    Unfortunately, this means I find some books a bit of a challenge.
    There are some excellent "Spot the Dog" adventures that ought to be right up your street.

HTH
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I am quite tempted on checking out the Flashman books though.
      In all seriousness, you could do worse. Great entertainment, and they also contain quite a bit of historical information too, provided you can disentangle the fact from the Flashy fiction of course.
      Agree with others about the Harris books too. Every one of his I have read has been good.
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

"World War Z" its a sort of "Bridget Jones diary style" of a guy going around the world interviewing people and its slowly revealed that there has been a zombie and human war which has been devastating. Incredible stuff actually written by the son of Mel Brooks but don't let that put you off. The film rights have been picked up by Brad Pitt's production company.

Incredible stuff and I could not put it down.

Comment

I'm a sucker for historical fiction so for ripping reads:

Azincourt by Bernard Cornwall
          London by Edward Rutherfurd (his New York wasn't as good but I'll buy his Rome if he writes it..)
          Blood Red, Sister Rose by Thomas Keneally (a really unusual, haunting book, set out more like a script than a narrative but succeeds in taking the author out of the story.)

Any Flashman books and the 1st, and possibly best book in it's genre: The Iliad. You be in the blood and the sweat and the gore when the battle comes...
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Kane and Abel - Jeffrey Archer. Awesome !

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
              Kane and Abel - Jeffrey Archer's editor. Awesome !
              FTFY.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                Originally Posted by kaiser78
                Kane and Abel - Jeffrey Archer's editor. Awesome !

FTFY.
                Still an awesome read !!

Comment

Stored procedures in ABAP/4 for COBOL programmers by Naw I Tall
                  "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

I wan't some easy reading but nothing trashy.
                    Confessions of a Window Cleaner
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X