• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Power cut this morning Chelsea & South Kensington - what to do.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power cut this morning Chelsea & South Kensington - what to do.

There was a power cut in our building at 5am this morning. I have some power left on my laptop and mobile broadband (mobile phone has internet also) so I was able to dig around for help.

It was too early to check with the next door neighbours so I surfed the web for British Gas which supply my electricity and their help numbers were no good... offices are closed etc.

So then searching some more on the web it turns out you have to call your REGIONAL supplier which for the South East seems to be EDF. So I called their number link here National Grid: Distribution Network Operator (DNO) Companies
    and I got some guy saying "errrrr I cannot see any power cuts in your area .... have you checked the main building trip switch near the fuse box... ok we'll get an engineer around in the next couple of hours ... it may be a fuse in your building ..... (honest)".

I wouldn't bet on an engineer coming out to help on a Saturday, I left contact details and I will investigate with my neighbours 'building' next door neighbours and the general area to see if they're affected given that its now a more reasonable time.

Wasn't Richmond aftected by power cuts recently during the football ? what if you're an old aged pensioner like my building neighbours downstairs who just dialled their supplier (EON) and didn't seem to know what to do after they got a recorded message saying "Bog off its not office hours.", their land phone line power is also down.

The amount and quality of help and information is shockingly / suprisingly bad for such a serious service failure.

No hot water .. so will have to cook some up with good old GAS !!!!! any tips on this terrible inconvinience bestowed upon me ???

You could boil some water in pan on your gas stove - then you have hot water for a shave & wash.

Alternatively, it will allow you to understand what it must be like to live in one of those deprived areas where electricity has not yet been discovered - areas such as Lancashire

Comment

With the gas stove - make a cup of tea (other beverages are available) and sit and appreciate a simpler life style.

---------------------------------- or -------------------------------

Go back to bed until it is all over.

In the past I'd be

These days I'm begining to be more One day I'll be
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I'm in K&C, and I didn't have a power cut this morning. Maybe it was only a couple of streets - They're digging up the road all over the place round here at the moment.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Do you have enough focaccia and olives to get to through the day?

Comment

its just our building and they have no eta on getting a team down to sort out the power problem in the street outside, looks like its going to be rough. had to get a taxi to a friends in east chelsea to get a shower !

i got tnough batteries for mobile and mobile internet for the weekend !

i am not too hopeful for a power restore today so can anyone recommend and long lasting light source for the night ? i am off to argos and covent garden camping shops for any ideas...... thanks for any suggestions....

more importantly is the england game on sunday !

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post

I am sure there may be the odd pub showing it in the area.

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
                If you have a balcony, simply sit out on that and monitor for loud groans/cheers as applicable.

HTH
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I once got home one Friday night after 3 weeks away to find the electricity was off. Went to the pub.

I rang 'em up on Saturday morning and they basically said that because I didn't have a family to cook for, I didn't qualify as an emergency case and would have to wait until Monday.

It turned out to be a bad connection between the incoming power line and the box on the wall, so the chap got his thick rubber gloves out to do the job. They were suitably covered in burn and spark marks from previous jobs. It made me glad I hadn't picked electrician as a career.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

also is there any recourse / compensation if we are without power for say 3-4 days?

anyone experienced this before ?

Comment

Working...
                    X