• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shearer for England Manager?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spice Beckham or David Beckham

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    I can see Beckham taking the position, his playing days seem increasingly to be a thing of the past.
    I vote for an offshore woman coach on a special skills visa as I am not quite sure I want to be kissed by Diego after scoring .
    What we need is plenty quickness near the goal mouth so a 1-9 formation is the way forward

Changing the manager will not change anything. All the current players look good playing along side world class players but individually not all that good.
    They may just respect an Ex player like Shearer or Beckham and actually perform better.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      You've got a point.

However you're forgetting the incentives that the Managers of Tottenham, Man U, Man City and Chelsea have to offer...
      True, but the world cup is the biggest possible chance to make yourself more valuable... unlike during the season when everyone's busy, ALL the league managers will be watching closely around the world. So I'd argue there are big incentives, just not quite as direct.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by nodric;1161123[LIST
        [*]Liverpool 2009-10: Four players born in UK, 20 born abroad
        [*]Man Utd 2009-10: 11 players born in UK, 17 born abroad
        [*]Chelsea 2009-10: Six players born in UK, 17 born abroad
        [*]Everton 2009-10: 12 players born in UK, 10 born abroad
        [*]Villa 2009-10: 18 players born in UK, 12 born abroad
        [*]Spurs 2009-10: 13 players born in UK, 12 born abroad
        [*]Arsenal 2009-10: Four players born in UK, 23 born abroad
        [/LIST]
        However...
        - Rooney is Man U's star player, and very nearly the top scorer in the Premiership
        - Defoe and Lennon are two of Tottenham's best players
        - Gerrard is the lynchpin of Liverpool (though not great last season as a team of course)
        - Terry is captain of the Premiership Champions

etc. The English players are not bit-parts and bench-warmers in their clubs.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          However...
          - Rooney is Man U's star player, and very nearly the top scorer in the Premiership
          - Gerrard is the lynchpin of Liverpool (though not great last season as a team of course)

Ironically, a number of the Germans that beat us last night, are not Germans, but became Germans by naturalisation. i.e. Taking citizenship.

I accept that there are some talented players in the UK, but not sufficient to select a 23 man strong squad, that can play together, and that is both World class, and World beating.

If there were, we’d have won.
          Last edited by nodric; 28 June 2010, 11:52.
          I am not an expert, just someone who has experienced things first hand. If you need expert advice then seek out a qualified expert. My opinions are just that, my opinions. I could be wrong, and laws change, so trust nothing I say

Comment

Together we stand divided we fall

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            However...

They may be good when playing along side foreign players but together with an England shirt they are
            average players and yesterdays game proved just that.

A Good Team and a good player are two different concepts

This would not be a good team (group) Cliff Richards , Keith Richards, Nigel kennedy,Sevie wonder(piano) , Phil Collins(drums)

But they are all good individual artists
            Last edited by Brussels Slumdog; 28 June 2010, 12:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
              This would not be a good team (group) Cliff Richard , Keith Richards, Nigel Kennedy, Stevie wonder(piano) , Phil Collins(drums)
              Too funny

So true, and a great analogy, although not sure Cliff is such a good artist, but then there's no accounting for taste
              I am not an expert, just someone who has experienced things first hand. If you need expert advice then seek out a qualified expert. My opinions are just that, my opinions. I could be wrong, and laws change, so trust nothing I say

Comment

I think the manager played his part, but I don't think changing the manager would really do anything other than give the squad a honeymoon period. We have tried changing the manager but it's the squad that is at fault. It's the same few players that essentially made up Sven’s squad etc. When you have a defence that played so badly there is not a lot you can do. Upson and Terry were awful and Johnson really is tulip! There were at least 2 times when he ran the ball over the touchline under no pressure. While I think Lampard had a slightly better game than the rest of his piss poor world cup, Barry stunk and Gerrard showed nothing of what he used to for Liverpool, albeit 2 years ago. Defoe couldn't trap the ball and I don't think Rooney was fit from the start. There were times when he lost the ball and you would normally see him trying to recover it. instead he just seemed to shrug. Milner had his moments, but that's about it.

What I can't understand, in terms of tactics, why Gerrard on the left? Why when we needed goals did Heksey come on? He shouldn't have been in the country! He should have put Gerrard in the middle behind Rooney and put Cole on the left and taken off Barry who was rubbish.

Also, what is the point of taking the other players if you are never going to use them. Why take Cole if he is going to be limited to 29 mins? Why take Crouch and not play him? They could have taken Walcott and not played him instead. At least he would have given them another option.

Finally, a story in the Metro today has Gerrard saying that the time is up for the golden generation. If he seriously believes that he and the rest of them were some sort of golden generation then I can see why they failed so badly. Did they think that by turning up all the other teams would simply fall over in awe of their greatness? Golden shower more like!

Just seen that that phrase has already been used. Bugger
                Last edited by BoredBloke; 28 June 2010, 13:25.
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I'd put Ian Holloway as manager

At least the post match interview would be entertaining!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                    Did they think that by turning up all the other teams would simply fall over in awe of their greatness? Golden shower more like!
                    I almost just got fired laughing so much at that last paragraph

Comment

Working...
                    X