• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Deckchair Vol. XXVI

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Deckchair Vol. XXVI

Why bother enjoying the sunny weather when there are vast tracts of the web you haven't read yet:

• The Best Place To Hide Money: Conversation With A Burglar - Jeffrey Strain asks a former burglar for advice. There's also a later conversation, Don’t Hide Money In The Toilet: More Conversation With A Burglar.

• The Case for Calling Them Nitwits - Daniel Byman and Christine Fair are distinctly unimpressed by the supposedly deadly jihadists the powers that be like us all to be so afraid of. "They blow each other up by mistake. They bungle even simple schemes. They get intimate with cows and donkeys. Our terrorist enemies trade on the perception that they’re well trained and religiously devout, but in fact, many are fools and perverts who are far less organized and sophisticated than we imagine. Can being more realistic about who our foes actually are help us stop the truly dangerous ones?"

• How to Keep Someone With You Forever - "...your lover (or employee) will stay only as long as she wants to under those systems, and you want to keep her even when she doesn't want to stay. How do you pin her to your side, irrevocably, permanently, and perfectly legally? You create a sick system." Scary article by Issendai about the warped tactics of psychological manipulation people use to control others.

• If San Francisco Crime were Elevation - Doug McCune explores an interesting artistic approach to visualising crime statistics.

• Building Highly Reliable Websites For Small Companies - "Downtime severely annoys customers. Downtime annoys sole proprietors even more, because it has a funny way of invariably striking at the worst possible time. Apache has no respect for date night. So if you’re a small company without dedicated ops team, you might well be worried about whether you can reasonably promise customers that you’ll be able to avoid inconveniencing them while still maintaining some semblance of sanity in your own life." Excellent practical article by Patrick McKenzie.

• The Passport Payment - When Microsoft forgot to renew the passport.com domain just before Christmas 1999 it crippled Hotmail. Michael Chaney paid the bill for them, before they'd even worked out what the problem was. "I really couldn't think of any negative consequences, and I knew that I was probably restoring email service to a lot of Hotmail users (I thought there were a few million at the time, turns out there are more than 20 million users with around 55 million email addresses)."

• Sizing Up the Nightlife - When sociologist Lauren Rivera wanted to examine how people assess social status at a glance, she studied the experts: New York doormen. "Know someone. Or know someone who knows someone. If you’re a guy, bring attractive women—ideally younger women in designer clothes."

• Views Show How North Korea Policy Spread Misery - When North Korea devalued its currency last year, the wretchedly small savings of its citizens became almost worthless. "“We always wait for the invasion... My son says he wishes the war would come because life is too hard, and we will probably die anyway from starvation."

• Ask Philosophers - "This site puts the talents and knowledge of philosophers at the service of the general public. Send in a question that you think might be related to philosophy and we will do our best to respond to it."

• Luciferous Logolepsy: Dragging obscure words into the light of day - "Particular attention has been paid to archaic words, as they tend to be more evocative - as if their very age lends additional meaning or overtones. Current personal favorites include 'skirr', 'epicaricacy' and 'schizothemia'."

Happy invoicing!

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Why bother enjoying the sunny weather when there are vast tracts of the web you haven't read yet:

[LIST][*]The Best Place To Hide Money: Conversation With A Burglar - Jeffrey Strain asks a former burglar for advice. There's also a later conversation, Don’t Hide Money In The Toilet: More Conversation With A Burglar.

From the article The Skidmark Safe
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

From the article The Skidmark Safe
      I like this quote - "Why not DIY and save the money"

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        [*]Luciferous Logolepsy: Dragging obscure words into the light of day - "Particular attention has been paid to archaic words, as they tend to be more evocative - as if their very age lends additional meaning or overtones. Current personal favorites include 'skirr', 'epicaricacy' and 'schizothemia'."[/LIST]

Happy invoicing!

Cheers Nick - am in parerethesis over this web site and have discovered that HAB's condition is called dasypygal
        ta muchly
        I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
          Cheers Nick - am in parerethesis over this web site and have discovered that HAB's condition is called dasypygal
          ta muchly

Still, he's in no danger of ablutomania.

Comment

Working...
          X