• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

apologies for the wilmslowesque nature of this question...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by threaded View Post
    There's being open-minded, and letting people do what they want 'behind closed doors', but my experience tells me that when a user reaches the stage of irritating the neighbours then they are already on the spiral dive to oblivion.

HTH
    That's a fair point, but he may not be irritating her on purpose, and the chances are that if she has complained he's making an effort to avoid doing it again. I really think killing him is a bit OTT.

Presumably we are talking about an older house that has been converted into flats, although a lot of blocks of flats built in the 80s are not much better. A lot of those were done on the cheap with little or no attention paid to soundproofing, which caused a huge increase in the number of complaints about noisy neighbours and resulted in amended building regulations. Laminate floors are a particular source of problems, esp when laid by cowboys or DIYers who don't use a proper underlay.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upl...F_ADE_2003.pdf

Even perfectly reasonable people can end up at loggerheads over noise, I know the guy who bought the flat downstairs from where I used to live (in a converted victorian house) paid around £30k to have work done to reduce impact noise (which included having some work done in what had been my flat). He was very reasonable and understood the problem but most people don't and assume the neighbours are doing it purpose.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      That's a fair point, but he may not be irritating her on purpose, and the chances are that if she has complained he's making an effort to avoid doing it again. I really think killing him is a bit OTT.

Presumably we are talking about an older house that has been converted into flats, although a lot of blocks of flats built in the 80s are not much better. A lot of those were done on the cheap with little or no attention paid to soundproofing, which caused a huge increase in the number of complaints about noisy neighbours and resulted in amended building regulations. Laminate floors are a particular source of problems, esp when laid by cowboys or DIYers who don't use a proper underlay.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upl...F_ADE_2003.pdf

Even perfectly reasonable people can end up at loggerheads over noise, I know the guy who bought the flat downstairs from where I used to live (in a converted victorian house) paid around £30k to have work done to reduce impact noise (which included having some work done in what had been my flat). He was very reasonable and understood the problem but most people don't and assume the neighbours are doing it purpose.

I used to live in a flat with a heroin user/small time dealer living in the attic flat above. We had skinny white trash scumbags turning up at all hours trying to 'score', the front door got kicked off it's hinges, an antique table was stolen and my post often didn't turn up.

This was a large Victorian house converted into 7 flats occupied mostly by nice respectable owners including a vicar and his wife, just one of the flats was rented and you can guess which.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Noise nuisance is usually tackled by the noise abatement officer of your local council. They can vary in effectiveness and obviously your neighbour will know one his neighbours have called. Are you two the only ones in the block?
        When I lived in a flat and had some noisy Aussie neighbours, I knocked on their door, called them koonts and told them if I heard anything more that got me out of bed, I would break the door down and beat the crap out of them. I was so angry I meant it and it showed. Never heard a peep after that.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          I used to live in a flat with a heroin user/small time dealer living in the attic flat above. We had skinny white trash scumbags turning up at all hours trying to 'score', the front door got kicked off it's hinges, an antique table was stolen and my post often didn't turn up.

This was a large Victorian house converted into 7 flats occupied mostly by nice respectable owners including a vicar and his wife, just one of the flats was rented and you can guess which.
          Exactly, and that's a big difference to someone leaving the house a few times and making a bit of noise isn't it.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            That's a fair point, but he may not be irritating her on purpose, and the chances are that if she has complained he's making an effort to avoid doing it again. I really think killing him is a bit OTT. [/url]
            That statement is only slightly reassuring!!

Comment

I phoned the letting agent who phoned the owner and the person occupying isn't even meant to be there, apparently the owner lives in the country and his children occasionally use it, but as far as he knows no-one is meant to be there. He gave the keys to someone to do a job and fix somethings...

You think if you were squatting you would do it quietly and not upset the neighbours!

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                Open minded? You reckon because someone does something illegal and detrimental to their health that they're "open minded"? You've got your values well and truly screwed. Don't forget that he's affecting someone elses quality of life.
                Feckin hell, it's Nancy Reagan!!

Comment

Originally posted by Boudica View Post
                  I phoned the letting agent who phoned the owner and the person occupying isn't even meant to be there, apparently the owner lives in the country and his children occasionally use it, but as far as he knows no-one is meant to be there. He gave the keys to someone to do a job and fix somethings...

You think if you were squatting you would do it quietly and not upset the neighbours!
                  It's what happens: druggy comes up to you in the street 'spare us a bit of cash for a cup of tea', next thing you find they're squatting in your shed/garage/house, and if you ask why, they'll say you gave them permission. I do believe they actually believe it too. It's what they're like.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                    It's what happens: druggy comes up to you in the street 'spare us a bit of cash for a cup of tea', next thing you find they're squatting in your shed/garage/house, and if you ask why, they'll say you gave them permission. I do believe they actually believe it too. It's what they're like.
                    I'm not sure it was exactly like that but looks like inhabitant wasn't there with permission of owner... weird! it is a kind of nice part of london, if there is such a thing...

Comment

Originally posted by Boudica View Post
                      I'm not sure it was exactly like that but looks like inhabitant wasn't there with permission of owner... weird! it is a kind of nice part of london, if there is such a thing...
                      Could it be one of the owners kids?

Comment

Working...
                      X