• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Proud to be British - Finally !

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    I worked for Qinetic before it was Qinetic. You could not find a more random bunch of geeks, nerds, losers and oddballs.
    You've yet to spend time at GCHQ then.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      The reason that you got so excited is that this sort of excellence is the exception to the rule of mediocrity.
      The Germans probably have hundreds of factories (maybe not jet engines but other stuff) all at the top of their game.
      This makes me glum.
      But now Germany has recognised that its dependance on producing stuff is no longer viable against the lower cost Far Eastern nations & is searching for a new model to structure its ecomomy

HTH
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
        Looks like the final episode on Sunday is at defence contractor QinetiQ's:

We meet the scientists and engineers building robots to diffuse Afghanistan's deadly roadside bombs...
        FFS, you'd think the BBC could find somebody who knows the difference between "diffuse" and "defuse"

Comment

Originally posted by Joe90 View Post
          Yeah it is on iPlayer. Thats where I watched it earlier in the week.

Does anybody know what else the series will cover?

download get_iplayer
          open terminal (if you've no got a Mac yet.... )
          CD to wherever get_iplayer is

To see the list of available programmes type and execute:

./get_iplayer --terse

346: How to Build... - 1. A Nuclear Submarine
          347: How to Build... - 2. A Jumbo Jet Engine

Type and execute:

./get_iplayer --get 347

Vola, a DRM free copy to watch as many times as you like
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

There has always been a perception that Engineering was killed off in Britain. But then everyone had a picture of an engineer as someone who wore a boiler suit and worked on a line, went on strike and fought the Tories.

But what do we expect? Engineer is a protected term in Europe, you have to get an Engineering degree in Germany to call yourself an Engineer like you have to get a degree in Medicine to call yourself a Doctor.

What do we do? Let call centre staff be Sales Engineers?

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

Or even better.....................Vision Technician = Window Cleaner

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                Or even better.....................Vision Technician = Window Cleaner

Diversity Consultant == Pierced Lesbian == £75,000

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  download get_iplayer
                  open terminal (if you've no got a Mac yet.... )
                  CD to wherever get_iplayer is

To see the list of available programmes type and execute:

./get_iplayer --terse

346: How to Build... - 1. A Nuclear Submarine
                  347: How to Build... - 2. A Jumbo Jet Engine

Type and execute:

./get_iplayer --get 347

Vola, a DRM free copy to watch as many times as you like

Get iPlayer Automator

looks like it might work...

Edit: Doesn't. Shame - terminal all the way then.
                  Last edited by Moscow Mule; 8 July 2010, 23:10.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    But now Germany has recognised that its dependance on producing stuff is no longer viable against the lower cost Far Eastern nations & is searching for a new model to structure its ecomomy

HTH
                    Yes, so the jealous and parochial British press would have us believe.
                    One of the ironies of the current crisis was the Economist urging Germany to be more like Britain
                    The Germans on the other hand realise that they can compete on quality and the brand "made in Germany" still counts for something, so rather than destroying their manufacturing, they're simply striving,successfully, for the top end.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                      There has always been a perception that Engineering was killed off in Britain. But then everyone had a picture of an engineer as someone who wore a boiler suit and worked on a line, went on strike and fought the Tories.

But what do we expect? Engineer is a protected term in Europe, you have to get an Engineering degree in Germany to call yourself an Engineer like you have to get a degree in Medicine to call yourself a Doctor.

And being called Herr Doktor at work causes the girlies to send you naked videos of themselves, it's a scandal.
                      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                      X