• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dresden - February 1945!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dresden - February 1945!!

YouTube - Bombing of Dresden in World War II

War crime or simply collateral damage?

Seems like a bit of retribution to me.............but I suppose in war , anything goes...........for the politicians anyway.
    Anyway, I was wondering just what sort of response it would draw from the locals had the RAF insisted upon the right of marching through the streets of Dresden every February to celebrate Bomber Harris?
    Crazy idea eh? And then I remembered that in Norn Iron and various parts of Western Scotland, bands of inflammatory lunatics intent on doing something very much along those lines, were exercising their "right" to march this very day. To commemorate a skirmish that happened over 300 years ago!! Sheer lunacy, and not the sort of malarkey I want my Council Taxes going towards funding.

SB in "lights blue touchpaper and steps well back from this one" mode
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

I'm all for people demonstrating their rights.

Got any popcorn?

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
      I'm all for people demonstrating their rights.

Got any popcorn?
      Not much point as there seems to only be the two of us here.
      Plus I may have to go off and do some work now.
      Ah well.............slowly slowly catchee monkey as they say!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        YouTube - Bombing of Dresden in World War II

War crime or simply collateral damage?

Seems like a bit of retribution to me.............but I suppose in war , anything goes...........for the politicians anyway.
        Anyway, I was wondering just what sort of response it would draw from the locals had the RAF insisted upon the right of marching through the streets of Dresden every February to celebrate Bomber Harris?
        Crazy idea eh? And then I remembered that in Norn Iron and various parts of Western Scotland, bands of inflammatory lunatics intent on doing something very much along those lines, were exercising their "right" to march this very day. To commemorate a skirmish that happened over 300 years ago!! Sheer lunacy, and not the sort of malarkey I want my Council Taxes going towards funding.

SB in "lights blue touchpaper and steps well back from this one" mode
        Can't watch that now but I will do later.
        More people were killed, (burnt alive) than were together in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

The WWII Dresden Holocaust - 'A Single Column Of Flame'
        "young women carrying babies running up and down the streets, their dresses and hair on fire"
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          Can't watch that now but I will do later.
          More people were killed, (burnt alive) than were together in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
          Bollocks. An estimated 25k died in Dresden, 80k were directly killed by the bomb Hiroshima and 40k in Nagasaki.

Still, one mustn't let facts get in the way, eh?

Comment

Bollocks. An estimated 25k died in Dresden, 80k were directly killed by the bomb Hiroshima and 40k in Nagasaki.

Still, one mustn't let facts get in the way, eh?
            The death toll was staggering. The full extent of the Dresden Holocaust can be more readily grasped if one considers that well over 250,000 -- possibly as many as a half a million -- persons died within a 14-hour period, whereas estimates of those who died at Hiroshima range from 90,000 to 140,000.

In the first few decades after the war, some death toll estimates were as high as 250,000, which are now considered unreasonable.[6] An independent investigation commissioned by the city council in 2010 finaly reported a minimum of 22,700 victims with a maximum total number of fatalities of 25,000
            Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
              Early reports estimated 150,000 to 250,000 deaths but the German Dresden Historians' Commission in an official 2010 report published after five years of research concluded that there were up to 25,000 civilian casualties.[14]

Comment

Early reports estimated 150,000 to 250,000 deaths but the German Dresden Historians' Commission in an official 2010 report published after five years of research concluded that there were up to 25,000 civilian casualties.[14]
                Perhaps you should read my entire post before commenting.....
                Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
                  Perhaps you should read my entire post before commenting.....
                  Your post consisted of an unsubstantiated quote and a smiley.

Here, have some more facts.

According to statistics found within Nagasaki Peace Park, the death toll from the atomic bombing totaled 73,884, as well as another 74,909 injured, and another several hundred thousand diseased and dying due to fallout and other illness caused by radiation.

On Monday, August 6, 1945, at 8:15 AM, the nuclear bomb 'Little Boy' was dropped on Hiroshima by an American B-29 bomber, the Enola Gay,[15] directly killing an estimated 80,000 people. By the end of the year, injury and radiation brought total casualties to 90,000-140,000.

Comment

People are quite vile creatures really, aren't they.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X