• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

things you don't see anymore

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
    what aisle were they cycling round?
    They parked up in the lobby. Didn't both locking their bikes...
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
      Boil-in-the-bag curry and rice.
      Oh, that brought the taste memory of gud knows what it was in brown bean sauce flooding back.

I have a cunning plan: I shall try to replicate it, girly'll wander into the kitchen, 'whatcha making?', taste the spoon, and insist I must have forgotten she was supposed to be taking me out for dinner.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

There are less rusty cars to be seen these days. Even quite old ones like mine look brand new(ish).

Comment

mm, yes. The fun of fishing out the scalding hot bags with your fingers (too slippery for spoons, and piercing them not an option). Then of drying them with a teatowel so you don't get loads of water dripping on your plate while you open them. Then of cautiously snipping the edge with your scissors in a vain attempt to minimise the amount of stuff that goes all over your hands.

Can you imagine the kind of pioneering thinking that would have been required to invent the cod, parsley sauce and mash one? I hope that man got made at least an Earl.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            Yeah. My mate used to have a coinbank that was shaped like the head and shoulders of a gentleman of coloured extraction, that had an arm with a lever attached, and a flat hand that held pennies.
            The idea was that you placed the penny in "Sambo's" hand, and when you depressed the lever, the arm raised up the penny, his eyeballs shot backwards in their sockets, and he swallowed the penny. Wonderful piece of engineering it was. You never see them these days.
            That makes me glum!!
            I saw one at a flea market a few years ago, but the mechanism was broken.

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            tinyurl link

Ah yes............these were the ones!! NB Because of the bleeding PC swearyfilter, you have to replace the * with something that rhymes with "bigger", that was also the name of Guy Gibson VC's dog!!
            When I was a nipper a neighbour had an example like the one on the right.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              Probably not. The one at the end of my road went 30 years or more ago.

There used to be a blue telephone box thingie on another street too. It had a blue light on the top of it. Would have made a great Tardis, though it'd be a bit of a bugger to get in & out of.

This sort of thing (though this one is in Septicland) http://www.vintagephone.com/willms2/A86L.jpg
              I remember one of those, and I even saw a policeman answer it one day. They weren't as shiny as the Septic versions.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Golliwog dolls.
                Last year I was on holiday passing through a small town in Australia and went in to this shop that sold dolls and marionettes and was taken aback to see golliwogs on sale there.

Now I am sure that either myself or one of my sisters used to have one when we were small so I was a bit surprised by my reaction, how times have changed.

Comment

Displays of bags of peanuts in pubs where the bags are attached to a piece of cardboard with a picture of a naked lady on it, who is gradually revealed as the bags of peanuts are bought.

Comment

Sugar cubes

Gob Stoppers

Comment

School teachers with canes. I have to pay £40 for that these days.
                      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                      X