• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would a contractor do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lje View Post
    Combine that with something closer to home and you have to ask the question about whether that extra 30% is enough to take you away from your home and make you bored every day.
    If it means you can put the additional 30% towards your families future then suffering a little boredom isn't too much to ask is it?

Comment

Originally posted by SofaKingdom View Post
      If it means you can put the additional 30% towards your families future then suffering a little boredom isn't too much to ask is it?
      These days it's very difficult to find the right balance. Until we have kids I'm willing to work my bollocks off. When they're born I want to be around as they grow.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightship
        Why would anyone else's priorities have any bearing on your own?
        WHS +1
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Make certain of this new project, after many different contracts I take everything mentioned about workload and the nature of the work with a pinch of salt until I am in the place. I can’t remember one that turned out close to how it was described.
          Having said that, I restrict my location for family reasons and suffer benchtime as a result (and because I am not very good of course).
          Sounds like you need a change but maybe try for something a bit closer to current rate before jumping. I would also try to exercise WFH options which will make a huge difference, if they flat-out refuse, at least you will feel a bit better about bailing !

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
            These days it's very difficult to find the right balance. Until we have kids I'm willing to work my bollocks off. When they're born I want to be around as they grow.
            Can you get a baby seat in the back of an R8 then Spod?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by SofaKingdom View Post
              I'm probably not the right person to ask about this as I'm Child Free (I still find that phrase strange though) and intend to stay that way. Despite that I still have a strong aversion to working away from home - the role and money would have to be fantastic to make up for it (or my warchest would have to be depleted).
              Loopy Loo

Comment

Working...
              X