• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would a contractor do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would a contractor do?

You're on a contract which pays an excellent daily rate, however the workload is non-existent and the commute isn't great (about 3.5hrs round trip). Given the long time you've been on the project, this contract has the potential to go on till 2011 and maybe even early 2012.

You've been offered a contract elsewhere which is 10minute from home (family with kids) with what appears to be interesting work as well, but it means taking a 30% pay cut.

Would you terminate your existing contract early and jump?

Just wonder what people's priorities are in this present climate.

Originally posted by ojock View Post
    Invoice
    Me, me, me...

Comment

You're on a contract which pays an excellent daily rate, however the workload is non-existent and the commute isn't great (about 3.5hrs round trip). Given the long time you've been on the project, this contract has the potential to go on till 2011 and maybe even early 2012.

You've been offered a contract elsewhere which is 10minute from home (family with kids) with what appears to be interesting work as well, but it means taking a 30% pay cut.

Dependent on the kids ages and how much it would unsettle them, I'd look to stay in the current gig and move the family closer to the sure thing contract and coin it whilst you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightship
        Why would anyone else's priorities have any bearing on your own?
        It doesn't really, just canvassing some opinions from other contractors

Comment

I'd jack and take the local one. But it depends on how much cash you have and how you feel about it.

I get bored. RRRRRREEEAAAALLLL Bored, so need interesting work otherwise I want to kill someone.

Plus 3.5 hours round trip with boring work makes you depressed.

Make the change.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I would prefer interesting work for less money.

Also depends on whether or not you want to spend time with your spouse. Personally speaking I was always glad to escape.

Comment

This sounds like a LloydsTSB role in Yorkshire! I ****ed it off as it was boring and frankly, beneath me. No doubt some will say take the money, I can only assume they have a massive debt they have to pay off.

Wild horses wouldnt keep me in a tulip job unless I had big debts.

My advice, move on. Your sanity is worth more than pound notes.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                I ****ed it off as it was boring and frankly, beneath me.
                No wonder you admire an X3. I always thought BMW drivers were knobs and you certainly fit the mould. Well done!

Comment

Originally posted by SofaKingdom View Post
                  No wonder you admire an X3. I always thought BMW drivers were knobs and you certainly fit the mould. Well done!
                  I'd rather be a nob (you cant even spell it correctly!) than a *unt like you any day of the week. Get back on your sofa in your chuddies.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                    Invoice
                    WHS.

Spend the time self-learning or working on a Plan B.

The role is a known quantity whereas the new role may turn out worse.

Sounds like your current role is a 'sure thing' which in this economy is golden.

To make life easier, can you not adjust your hours so you start and finish early?

Comment

Working...
                    X