• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK gov sticks to IE 6

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I worked on an IE6-only app for the public sector recently. With a small amount of work it would run on any browser, and I pointed out they should do this as IE6 was soon EOL, but there was absolutely no appetite for it. There wasn't even any concern that the new work we did would not work on IE7, Firefox etc.

Personally I couldn't care less. Public sector clients don't; it's not like they are spending their own money! And besides, it will ultimately spell more work for contractors.

I also have no sympathy for developers who moan about IE6. I mean, FFS, in my day I had to wrestle with IE3+ and NS2+, Netscape Palette, 640x480, differences across operating systems. I could only dream about something as good as IE6! I even worked with IE2 once
    Last edited by swamp; 30 July 2010, 20:52.
    Cats are evil.

Comment

"weeks to test and roll out to all users" What are they talking about? Takes about 10 mins to download and instal.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        "weeks to test and roll out to all users" What are they talking about? Takes about 10 mins to download and instal.
        The users won't be able to do it themselves. IT support look like the IT Crowd but without the brains. Seriously.
        Web sites won't work the same and the intranet won't work at all.
        Your help desk will be tied up for the next three months by thickos claiming that "the screen looks funny"
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
          This is all about their internal apps, which is no big deal really. It's no different from having some old bit of internal bespoke software which has been in use since 1997 or something. It's just that this stuff runs in an old browser rather than some terminal in the corner of the office or something.
          Legacy app syndrome, very common in just about everywhere I've worked for the last decade. In many cases it would cost insane amounts of cash to replace these apps.

The workers can always install FF, Chrome, Opera or whatever if they want to use the web properly.
          Not on a properly locked down environment they can't.

Or do they mean they're going to continue to develop brand new applications which only work in IE6???
          Nope, just not planning to spend loads on replacing multiple (badly developed in the 1st place) legacy applications.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            If your concept of "test & roll out" is "bung it on production and see if people are happy" then that's a little concerning.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              If your concept of "test & roll out" is "bung it on production and see if people are happy" then that's a little concerning.
              Ah yes, "Continuous delapidation" - its a brand new concept for servicing the application life-cycle. My current place of work are ahead of the curve, they have been following that methodology for years.

Comment

Working...
              X