• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor Laptops

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Admin's sorted it for you - it's now multiple-choice.
    many thanks
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      no need for nine options to turn it off just to keep managers in work: close the lid and it goes off to sleep, open it and it wakes up immediately. I think the only times I've ever fully powered down have been when doing a hardware upgrade.
      I love the usual uncalled for and biased dig at windows

let me see - to hibernate I can push the power button or click the windows icon and hit the hibernate button

(screenshot from my own laptop)

If I set the system to sleep when I close the lid (an option I leave off as I don't want it to do that) then it takes 5 seconds to sleep and the same to wake up. OK not instant but quick enough

Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        I love the usual uncalled for and biased dig at windows
        It's called for, and it's not biased.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          no need for nine options to turn it off just to keep managers in work: close the lid and it goes off to sleep, open it and it wakes up immediately. I think the only times I've ever fully powered down have been when doing a hardware upgrade.
          I have to say that's the first time I've ever read one of Joel's articles and thought "what a load of bollocks".

It would also be fair to mention his critique could equally well apply to the apple menu.
          Last edited by doodab; 27 August 2010, 15:38.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

1) What laptop do you have?
            Lenovo 3000

2) Roughly how long have you had it?
            Nearly 3 years but has 4GB of RAM in it

3) What do you think of it? (quick summary of good/bad points)
            Good points - sturdy, good for dual booting into windows and linux
            Bad points - damn ugly to look at

4) Would you recommend it to others?
            Yes I recommend the brand if you need to use linux either to dual boot or on it's own.

5) What laptop (if any) are you looking at for your next purchase?
            I need to work out what kit I actually need as I have 2 desktop towers as well. Though I probably get the same make again as I know they work with linux without too many problems.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I happen to have the same model laptop as NF - it also has a missing sliver of plastic, on the right-front edge, so it could be a design issue.

Still running Tiger though. Nothing wrong with it, and based on the longevity of my last MacBook, there won't be for another 5 years.

1) MacBook 13" 2.16GH Core Duo 2GB 114GB (Ext 1TB)
              2) ~3 years
              3) Nothing wrong with it - use it everyday for hours. The (incredibly technophobic) Mrs RH uses it without any issues and it can run some nicely geeky developer tools OOTB
              4) Absolutely - especially if family also use it from time to time
              5) Probably a Pro 15" model with the antiglare (matt) screen, and this one will be bequeathed to Mrs RH full time.

Comment

1) What laptop do you have? 2006 Macbook pro, last production model before they went all aluminium cast thingy

2) Roughly how long have you had it? Since 2006

3) What do you think of it? Doh. It's great, reliable, it's not slowed down, keyboard eliminates at dusk (it is practical), great audio for a laptop... best feature is OS X of course, consideration for human interface is miles beyond other OS I've experienced. I've bought a new battery since purchase, the performance dies after about 1000 charges.

4) Would you recommend it to others? Yes, if I thought they could afford it, they're not cheap you know, professionals only.

5) What laptop (if any) are you looking at for your next purchase? Another Macbook pro. No reason to look for replacement this machine will not give up. 4 years and ticking...
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

1) What laptop do you have?
                  Samsung Q320
                  Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 @ 2.00GHz
                  3Gb RAM
                  320Gb HDD
                  Windows 7 Ultimate (upgraded from Windows Vista Home)

10 months

Overall, good all round mid-range unit which I'm happy with considering it only cost £540.
                  Good - Looks stylish, excellent keyboard and build quality
                  Bad - A little bit bulkier than it should be for a 13" laptop. Screen viewing angle and colour depth weak but not a major issue for me as I connect the laptop to an external display.

4) Would you recommend it to others?
                  Yes, if you can get it for a similar price to myself otherwise you could probably get a better unit for the RRP of £700.

5) What laptop (if any) are you looking at for your next purchase?
                  I really wanted a Sony Z Series but just couldn't justify the cost but maybe next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                    320Gb HDD
                    Windows 7 Ultimate (upgraded from Windows Vista Home)

10 months

Overall, good all round mid-range unit which I'm happy with considering it only cost £540.

10 months and you've already updated the OS Which flavour of OS did you go for? How much was it? So the total cost was?
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      10 months and you've already updated the OS Which flavour of OS did you go for? How much was it? So the total cost was?
                      Details as above.

When I bought the laptop Windows 7 was due to be released but existing laptops with Vista were entitled to a 'free' upgrade to Windows 7 courtesy of Microsoft.

You only had to pay for admin and P&P of the media which was £17.

Not as bad as you have tried to make it sound and standard practice when buying a Windows laptop/PC just prior to a new OS release.

Comment

Working...
                      X