• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor Laptops

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 8000
    It has a 1GHz Pentium 3 processor and 256Mb memory running Windows XP
    It weighs as much as a small car but does have a nice 1600x1200 screen

I use it at home as a (not very portable) remote desktop client

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      It's called for, and it's not biased.
      It might well be called for but it certainly is biased, the language is deliberately reactionary. In real terms, the ugly design makes no difference to me. I set the power button on my desktop to do what I want (hibernate) and similar with the laptop-close (sleep) and that's pretty much it, now things Just Work.

I always got the impression my MacBook is not actually powered down fully in sleep mode though, the battery seems to slowly drain if I leave it shut a couple of days. Do you know if it's the case?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I've got a Dell Vostro 1000 that cost me about £300 when I set up my company 3 years ago. Bottom of the line but has been very stable, and as it's used for work rather than installing loads of crap, it still runs fast enough too.

Also have MacBook, from the short period when Apple used the unibody aluminium case for the standard MacBook range. It's very beautiful but I don't really get Macs, I have Vista dual-booting on it for development work and use the Mac itself mainly for web-browsing.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Mac itself mainly for web-browsing.
          You want to be careful there...

I use me Mac mainly for determining if an aircraft will stay in the sky...
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Dell Inspiron 8500 some centrino 2gb RAM 60Gb HDD Windows 7

7 year old, despite my efforts doesn't want to die

as I mostly do RD / Outlook / Office works just fine ..

Comment

Working...
            X