• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lowering salaries - it's the end of IT as we know it (and I feel fine)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lowering salaries - it's the end of IT as we know it (and I feel fine)

Is it only my impression or the majority of top IT jobs in London, the ones there were paying 70k-100k, are not there anymore and now they offer only 40-50k for an architect position in Central London requiring quite rare skills? Same, more or less, for contracts with rates of 300 quid per day and less.

Is it because of so many people on the bench or a combination of offshoring and all these people on the bench pushing down salaries on a permanent level just as much as any engineering job?

Is it the end of IT as we know it? (And I feel fine) Is IT not worth to deal with any longer (at least on a technical level - but to be fair I don't see greater salaries for PM or analyst positions)?

Or is it just a temporary blip and things will get back to normal in a year or so when the general markets will recover?

What's your general view? Thumbs up or down? Is there still any chance for recovery?
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

It is your impression.
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
      It is your impression.
      Perhaps but only considering the grand totals of jobserve there is a definitive decline:

Salary (£ per annum)
      Not Specified (1148)
      Below £15000 (31)
      £15000-£20000 (109)
      £20000-£25000 (301)
      £25000-£30000 (545)
      £30000-£40000 (953)
      £40000-£50000 (950)
      £50000-£75000 (867)
      £75000-£100000 (360)
      Above £100000 (111)

Rate (£ per hour) *Calc. Daily
      Not Specified (1238)
      Below £10 (43)
      £10-£20 (63)
      £20-£30 (71)
      £30-£40 (138)
      £40-£50 (178)
      £50-£65 (180)
      £65-£80 (141)
      £80-£100 (88)
      Above £100 (11)
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

It is not the impression I am getting in my area
        I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
          It is not the impression I am getting in my area
          WSS++;

Comment

Without going in to the whole tacky "look at my wad", I'd say rates aren't too bad at the mo - not as high as they have been but still way better than other areas of business. More importantly, I don't know anyone in my area who's benched which is a better sign (IMHO).

I know that (at least one of) the big consultancies have been forced to drop rates but that's just to reflect 'savings' from offshoring as far as I can see. Although I'd expect that reduction to be reflected in the rates offered to any onshore contractors they need.

On the whole I'm still happy doing what I do.

and Franko, welcome back.

Comment

I work in a team of 60% bobs and 25% poles, they said to me that they just cannot hire a UK person, there is none out there.

Everyone I know is in work, rates that I have been offered are some of the highest I have ever been offered and I believe that the market is going to get much better.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                Everyone I know is in work, rates that I have been offered are some of the highest I have ever been offered and I believe that the market is going to get much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post

and Franko, welcome back.
                  Cheers. I have always been around lurking despite not writing much.

Comment

IMO the rates are lower

compared to when I started contracting by the second year I was on 100k. I am still on the same rate even though I am now older, fatter and more experienced. Based on both of the former I should be on another 30%
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X