• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone thought about learning to fly?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OrangeHopper
    I took one lesson.

Couldn't work out why couldn't go faster then 125mph.

What in?

BTW... 249.10 mph is the current Chopper record - In a Lynx - The theoretical max in a helicopter is 250mph...

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      How many fixed wing hours do you need before learning to fly helicopters?
      None, zero, zilch.

The only advantage that you *may* have is that you've passed your RT, and done all the Trevor Thom stuff before so you can concentrate on the flying.

Hyper, your thoughts?

Comment

Churchill, can't remember how much I paid as I was training in several locations due to a demise of one of the flying clubs. Also, it was all private so no vAT reclaim.

Trained in Shetlands (windy), Biggin Hill (foggy). Just checked my log book and did 51 hours of training before GFT. Minimum is 43 hours I think. All on C152 and Pa-28s. I'll hazard a guess at £3500 as it was 1991. Fairoaks is showing an all in package of around £8000 for a PPL nowadays.

I think if you have a PPL(A) and decide to do a PPL(H) then the minimum hours are 35 instead 45 or whatever for a whirly licence. This is reflected by the fact you have passed your RT, Nav, Human Factors exams etc

But flying a helo is totally different from a fixed wings and you certainly don't want your fixed wing "habits" encroaching on your helo training.

I believe learning to fly a helo is more difficult (and expensive) than learning to fly fixed wing. The hover is akin to rubbing your stomach clockwise and rubbing the top of your head anticlockwise and changing directions with ease.

Hopefully it's easier to do in real life than in MS Flight Sim 2005...
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

There are far too many "Jesus" bolts* on helicopters.

(* A "Jesus" bolt is defined by the expostulation made by the pilot when such a bolt comes undone/breaks etc. & the fan falls off).
          Or you have just enough time to say 'Jesus' before you hit the ground....

Comment

NOTAR (NO TAil Rotor) helps I guess.
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

The favourite "jesus" bolt is the one that makes the tail rotor go round... it can take a remarkably long time before impact under those circumstances... and you're very very dizzy by the time you get to heaven.

Drop the Collective ASAP!!! At altitude and sufficient forward speed, it's manageable. The nightmare scenario is a tail-boom strike when you're hovering over a built-up area.

(It always pays to monitor your CHIP lights - cue Threaded)

Btw, for tail rotor - read anti-torque rotor.

As for NOTAR, nice, quiet(er) more fuel efficient. But you wouldn't want that tail boom to fall off!

Comment

Does gliding count?

I took up gliding at Uni and have my Bronze C and some of my Silver. I have flown a number of different types ranging from K8's through to Sport Vegas and Astir's. I did a climb to 12,000 ft at Aboyne in Scotland in wave but it didn't qualify for anything as I was dual. We did mental calcs all the time to check alertness since we didn't have oxygen and side-slipped with full air-brake to decend.

Have considered taking my PPL but no time or money at present. My brother flies for a living so I get my fix with him!

Comment

When I were a lad I used to be partial to a Bocean t(hey had to put weights in as I was so small and light), and a Swallow, also a Jantar T. My favourite was the Falke T61A.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                    When I were a lad I used to be partial to a Bocean t(hey had to put weights in as I was so small and light), and a Swallow, also a Jantar T. My favourite was the Falke T61A.
                    Oh gawd! So many pilots on this forum!

Why aren't you lot working in commercial avaition then?

Much more fun, more money, more glamour!

I can't fly a paper plane but my mate up the road tells me it's the thing to do (he flys freight for DHL). Too late for me, but if I was starting again I'd seriously consider flying (fixed-wing or chops) as a career.

Even when you retire, you can make a good living doing tourist flights etc.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman
                      Oh gawd! So many pilots on this forum!

Why aren't you lot working in commercial avaition then?

Much more fun, more money, more glamour!

I can't fly a paper plane but my mate up the road tells me it's the thing to do (he flys freight for DHL). Too late for me, but if I was starting again I'd seriously consider flying (fixed-wing or chops) as a career.

Even when you retire, you can make a good living doing tourist flights etc.
                      A word to the wise, take what Threaded spouts with a large pinch of Sodium Chloride as every time he opens his mouth there's definitely a smell of bovine origin to be detected...

Slightly colour blind, I can only fly VFR - Got a nice note printed on my medical card.

Comment

Working...
                      X