• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is Pink Floyd best listened to while alone in your room, stoned off your face?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by administrator View Post
    Atom Heart Mother, Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here. Quality.

No need to be stoned or alone in your room to appreciate IMO.
    Ahhh but does the saxophone solo on us & them capture your soul if you're not stoned ... it's definitely a different experience
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Ommadawn

Freezing on a bike, stopping to sip your coffee from a Thermos.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Chew Magna

Quite scary when it's dark and the cows surround you.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          Chew Magna

Quite scary when it's dark and the cows surround you.
          Wow!

Who'd have guessed they revered gand pianos??
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
            Wicked

My stories of the DSotM are nothing compared to that but totally understand what NF is saying. The album is about the journey. Listening to it brings back memories of me being 15 or so when I first listened to it and the following 2 or 3. Strange times. But just a snippit of the music brings all of the feelings and memories of that time coming back. Thanks for the tale Nick
            I listened to it the other day in fact. The Great Gig in the Sky is good (makes me want to buy headache tablets); Money has a great riff and guitar solo, and that song at the end with "got to keep the loonies on the path" is pretty good. But if you're listening in the car don't make the mistake of turning it up when it goes all quiet as that bit with all the clocks scares the bejesus out of you.

Surely real Pink Floyd fans claim to like the early stuff with Syd Barret, and despise DSOM and everything that folowed for "being too commercial".
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsQuickerAntiClockwise View Post
              Ive always thought 'Learning to Fly', 'Comfortably Numb' would be amazing if I was completely stoned.
              I've never really understood how Pink Floyd came to be associated with being ideal stoned music, especially during the hippy psychedelic era when their music wasn't even as soothing as stuff like DSOTM. When you're stoned (in my limited experience) the last thing you need is chaos and cacophony. You want repetition, calmness - like others have said, things like The Orb, I suppose. Before that, I can remember how ideal Jean-Michel Jarre's records were (MOR or what), and of course Brian Eno. And also stuff like Hawkwind. That makes good sense as stoned music, but not Pink Floyd. Not for whole albums anyway. Too much going on.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
                Before that, I can remember how ideal Jean-Michel Jarre's records were (MOR or what), and of course Brian Eno. .
                Yup.. allegedly Before & After Science is good when you're stoned
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

you don't need to be alone
                  "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    Surely real Pink Floyd fans claim to like the early stuff with Syd Barret, and despise DSOM and everything that folowed for "being too commercial".
                    Only very pretentious people on a kind of hippy nostalgia trip think that. DSOM hasn't dated. As has been noted, kids today listen to it and enjoy it. Having said that, I do enjoy the early stuff as well.

I did know one guy who'd watched the Wall while stoned on LSD and while straight. He said it didn't make much difference.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

"I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like", after that era of Pink Floyd you might as well be asleep
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X