• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Curried Goat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curried Goat

Managed to get some shoulder of goat from a local farm.

Of anyone has any recipes curried or otherwise that they may have cooked....................
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

I've always fancied trying curried goat. When I lived in Hackney I used to hang out in this cool West Indian bar/club late into the morning playing pool.

They had a little hatch with the best West Indian food I've ever tasted. Never tried goat though.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
      Managed to get some shoulder of goat from a local farm.

Of anyone has any recipes curried or otherwise that they may have cooked....................
      No, sorry, but I do know (from friends of Carribean origin) the meat is very tough and needs extensive slow cooking. The meat holds spicey flavours far better than lamb or beef for instance so I am told.

Whatever you cook up, be sure to post it with your experiences and I will give it a go.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Shoulder will need slow cooking, was looking for some "proper" Caribbean recipes, you can google but you can't beat a good family or tried and trusted recipe.

Thought as I'm doing a 5 hour leg of lamb tomorrow ,could stick the goat in the oven for the same length of time.
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I don't have a recipe, but the best goat I've ever eaten was in Spain. It was slow roasted and kid rather than adult. I imagine that either Google or SKA would give some hints.

Comment

Shoulder will need slow cooking, was looking for some "proper" Caribbean recipes, you can google but you can't beat a good family or tried and trusted recipe.

Thought as I'm doing a 5 hour leg of lamb tomorrow ,could stick the goat in the oven for the same length of time.
            As Numpty says, it's got to be a long slow cook.

I was under the impression it was a weekend soak/cook style job.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I can ask the wife to facebookem?
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Last edited by Paddy; 3 October 2010, 17:42.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I made a curried goat recipe years ago, and just used lamb because I couldn't find goat. It was a Jamaican recipe that I found on the interweb, and it had scotch bonnet peppers and potatoes in the curry. It was awesome but very hot.
                  Scotch bonnet has a wonderful flavour even though it is fiery, so would highly recommend using it.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                    I made a curried goat recipe years ago, and just used lamb because I couldn't find goat. It was a Jamaican recipe that I found on the interweb, and it had scotch bonnet peppers and potatoes in the curry. It was awesome but very hot.
                    Scotch bonnet has a wonderful flavour even though it is fiery, so would highly recommend using it.
                    Got access to all the necessary ingredients, have googled it and consulted me library of cookbooks, was just putting it to the general populace, in case anyone would have a good recipe they may have tried and enjoyed.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X