Curried Goat Curried Goat
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Curried Goat

  1. #1

    Batty

    norrahe is NOT a disguised employee

    norrahe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sticks and the City
    Posts
    27,067

    Default Curried Goat

    Managed to get some shoulder of goat from a local farm.

    Of anyone has any recipes curried or otherwise that they may have cooked....................
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

    Norrahe's blog

  2. #2

    Banned

    MarillionFan is a fount of knowledge

    MarillionFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    35,763

    Default

    I've always fancied trying curried goat. When I lived in Hackney I used to hang out in this cool West Indian bar/club late into the morning playing pool.

    They had a little hatch with the best West Indian food I've ever tasted. Never tried goat though.

  3. #3

    Potty-trained

    suityou01 is NOT a disguised employee

    suityou01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Skid row
    Posts
    21,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by norrahe View Post
    Managed to get some shoulder of goat from a local farm.

    Of anyone has any recipes curried or otherwise that they may have cooked....................
    No, sorry, but I do know (from friends of Carribean origin) the meat is very tough and needs extensive slow cooking. The meat holds spicey flavours far better than lamb or beef for instance so I am told.

    Whatever you cook up, be sure to post it with your experiences and I will give it a go.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

  4. #4

    Batty

    norrahe is NOT a disguised employee

    norrahe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sticks and the City
    Posts
    27,067

    Default

    Shoulder will need slow cooking, was looking for some "proper" Caribbean recipes, you can google but you can't beat a good family or tried and trusted recipe.

    Thought as I'm doing a 5 hour leg of lamb tomorrow ,could stick the goat in the oven for the same length of time.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

    Norrahe's blog

  5. #5

    Godlike

    PRC1964 is good enough for Jehovah!

    PRC1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Eating your cheese
    Posts
    5,113

    Default

    I don't have a recipe, but the best goat I've ever eaten was in Spain. It was slow roasted and kid rather than adult. I imagine that either Google or SKA would give some hints.

  6. #6

    Banned

    MarillionFan is a fount of knowledge

    MarillionFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    35,763

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by norrahe View Post
    Shoulder will need slow cooking, was looking for some "proper" Caribbean recipes, you can google but you can't beat a good family or tried and trusted recipe.

    Thought as I'm doing a 5 hour leg of lamb tomorrow ,could stick the goat in the oven for the same length of time.
    As Numpty says, it's got to be a long slow cook.

    I was under the impression it was a weekend soak/cook style job.

  7. #7

    Potty-trained

    suityou01 is NOT a disguised employee

    suityou01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Skid row
    Posts
    21,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by norrahe View Post
    Shoulder will need slow cooking, was looking for some "proper" Caribbean recipes, you can google but you can't beat a good family or tried and trusted recipe.

    Thought as I'm doing a 5 hour leg of lamb tomorrow ,could stick the goat in the oven for the same length of time.
    I can ask the wife to facebookem?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

  8. #8

    Godlike

    Paddy is a fount of knowledge

    Paddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    9,794

    Default

    Last edited by Paddy; 3rd October 2010 at 17:42.
    Brexiteers remind me of religious fanatics, only faith, no facts.

  9. #9

    Contractor Among Contractors

    CheeseSlice is a permanent contractor

    CheeseSlice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Melting on your hamburger
    Posts
    1,757

    Default

    I made a curried goat recipe years ago, and just used lamb because I couldn't find goat. It was a Jamaican recipe that I found on the interweb, and it had scotch bonnet peppers and potatoes in the curry. It was awesome but very hot.
    Scotch bonnet has a wonderful flavour even though it is fiery, so would highly recommend using it.

  10. #10

    Batty

    norrahe is NOT a disguised employee

    norrahe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sticks and the City
    Posts
    27,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    I made a curried goat recipe years ago, and just used lamb because I couldn't find goat. It was a Jamaican recipe that I found on the interweb, and it had scotch bonnet peppers and potatoes in the curry. It was awesome but very hot.
    Scotch bonnet has a wonderful flavour even though it is fiery, so would highly recommend using it.
    Got access to all the necessary ingredients, have googled it and consulted me library of cookbooks, was just putting it to the general populace, in case anyone would have a good recipe they may have tried and enjoyed.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

    Norrahe's blog

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •