• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does the type of car you drive have any influence on your contract business success?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    How will the client know what car you drive?

Do you list it on your CV?
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Yes, under the heading Achievements.

HTH
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    But I thought you drove a BMW?
    It allows the client to determine he is a before actually interviewing him.

Comment

Get a banger or something boring like a Passat.

Then no permie will be jealous of you and ask you how much you earn. In fact some of them will think that contractors are worse off.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
        It allows the client to determine he is a before actually interviewing him.
        Jeez I am slow. Finally understand the smilie.

Comment

If your dealing with the MD/FD, then the more impressive the car you take on-site the better.

When you've got the contract and your dealing with middle managers or the general riff raff then its a no-no.

Never taken the 997 onto one of my existing customer sites, although it seems to have a positive effect when your punting for business at new clients and your dealing with the pen pushers.

Comment

Originally posted by minsky1 View Post
            If your dealing with the MD/FD, then the more impressive the car you take on-site the better.

When you've got the contract and your dealing with middle managers or the general riff raff then its a no-no.

Never taken the 997 onto one of my existing customer sites, although it seems to have a positive effect when your punting for business at new clients and your dealing with the pen pushers.
            Odds are they would be more impressed by your ability to understand the difference between the words YOUR (meaning belonging to you) and YOU'RE (meaning you are) which would indicate basic literacy rather than the car you drive.

I very much doubt that a client with a braincell that functions would care 2 hoots what car you're going to park in their car park.

Comment

Originally posted by minsky1 View Post

What minsky said..

If you are one of the big players who goes into 'those' management positions frequented by wine and whisky ponses, get a fancy car otherwise you'll not fit into the club.

If you are doing tech type contracts and will work along side joe bloggs, buy something modest but with enough power to keep you happy.

Although most of the time the permies may not even see your car, I've had plenty of situations where I've given lifts to others, or driven somebody important (e.g. my client) over 100 miles in my car to attend 2 days of meetings. So in this case you will want a spacious and comfortable car that runs smooth and quietly on the motorways and generally makes people feel at home.

Most importantly though, whatever you buy don't treat it like an ash tray or a bin on wheels full of old crisp packets. This will make your work buddies or boss think you're a feckless tramp.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                Well I need a new car, and am trying to make up my mind as to what to buy.
                Personally I would be happy with an el-cheapo Astra or Golf, but friends have suggested that it is worth getting something a little classy
                Well if you have learned nothing else from this experience, at least you now know which of your circle of friends have tiny nodgers!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

And if you are going to take a 997 onto a clients site, FOR GOD's SAKE make sure it's a Turbo S and not just a regular 997 Turbo.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                    Odds are they would be more impressed by your ability to understand the difference between the words YOUR (meaning belonging to you) and YOU'RE (meaning you are) which would indicate basic literacy rather than the car you drive.

I very much doubt that a client with a braincell that functions would care 2 hoots what car you're going to park in their car park.
                    "Brain cell" not "braincell".

Comment

Cheapo? A new standard Golf TDi is what £20k?

The client would still think you drive a nondescript boring car but you know it's really classy and expensive, at least thats what the VW advertising gumph would have you believe.
                      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                      X