Super rich are buying gold by the ton Super rich are buying gold by the ton
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 14

Richer than sasguru

DimPrawn is always on top

Default Super rich are buying gold by the ton

Super-rich buy gold by the ton - Telegraph

The world's wealthiest people have responded to economic worries by buying gold by the bar - and sometimes by the ton - and by moving assets out of the financial system, bankers catering to the very rich told Reuters, the news agency.

Fears of a double-dip downturn have boosted the appetite for physical bullion as well as for mining company shares and exchange-traded funds, UBS executive Josef Stadler told the Reuters Global Private Banking Summit.

"They don't only buy ETFs or futures; they buy physical gold," said Stadler, who runs the Swiss bank's services for clients with assets of at least $50 million to invest.

UBS is recommending top-tier clients hold 7-10 percent of their assets in precious metals like gold, which is on course for its tenth consecutive yearly gain and traded at around $1,314.50 an ounce on Monday, near the record level reached last week.

"We had a clear example of a couple buying over a ton of gold ... and carrying it to another place," Stadler said. At today's prices, that shipment would be worth about $42 million.

It was hard work watching my missus carry those gold bars up the stairs and putting them under the bed I can tell you.

PS Doooomed!
    SARS-CoV-2 - Finally something from China that still works as designed.

Godlike

Doggy Styles is a permanent contractor

Quote Originally Posted by DimPrawn View Post
    ...gold, which is on course for its tenth consecutive yearly gain and traded at around $1,314.50 an ounce on Monday, near the record level reached last week.
    Every time I see numbers like this, I'm reminded of how clueless the previous government was.

What price did they get for our gold 10 years ago? About a fifth of that, wasn't it?

Richer than sasguru

Quote Originally Posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Every time I see numbers like this, I'm reminded of how clueless the previous government was.

What price did they get for our gold 10 years ago? About a fifth of that, wasn't it?
    Yep, about a fifth, or to look at it another way, Gordon Brown destroyed £6bn of our wealth at a stroke.

Can I say **** here?

Super poster

CheeseSlice 's job has never been outsourced

Quote Originally Posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Yep, about a fifth, or to look at it another way, Gordon Brown destroyed £6bn of our wealth at a stroke.

Can I say **** here?
    Don't be silly, he was merely "diversifying our portfolio"
    He is an uber city trader dontcha know

Godlike

milanbenes 's job has never been outsourced

el gordo aside,

if the uber rich are being advised to have 7 to 10 % of their wealth in au,

then shouldn't the rest of us be doing the same ?

Milan.

Super poster

fullyautomatix 's job has never been outsourced

Never known any normal person, let alone a chancellor, sell gold without a reason. Assets like Gold are the last minute resort. If a country resorts to selling its Gold it could only mean that they are in deep *tulip*. Our Gordon just decided to sell the country's stock because he felt like it.

Super poster

meridian - scorchio!

Wait for Goldman Sachs banker to say the same (that the uber rich are buying gold) and that's the time to sell the lot....

Richer than sasguru

Quote Originally Posted by milanbenes View Post
    el gordo aside,

if the uber rich are being advised to have 7 to 10 % of their wealth in au,

then shouldn't the rest of us be doing the same ?

Milan.
    Chunky 9Ct Gold Curb Chain 22 inch/12mm: Amazon.co.uk: Jewellery

Contractor 'til I die

doodab 's job has never been outsourced

Quote Originally Posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Never known any normal person, let alone a chancellor, sell gold without a reason. Assets like Gold are the last minute resort. If a country resorts to selling its Gold it could only mean that they are in deep *tulip*. Our Gordon just decided to sell the country's stock because he felt like it.
    Well apart from the canadians who have sold nearly all of their reserves, and the swiss, who sold about 4-5 times as much as gordon did.

The fact that central banks have all but stopped selling is probably responsible for a fair chunk of the recent appreciation.
    Last edited by doodab; 5th October 2010 at 14:41.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Richer than sasguru

Quote Originally Posted by doodab View Post
    Well apart from the canadians who have sold nearly all of their reserves, and the swiss, who sold about 4-5 times as much as gordon did.
    Did they manage to match Gordon's timing and sell it all in one lump at the lowest possible price, and advertise that they intended to sell it off before hand, just to lower the market price that bit more?