• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Selling a the company instead of closing ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chef View Post
    but you haven't answered my question, what is it exactly you are considering selling?, what do you value it at? and how much we're you hoping to get for it? If you want someone to invest in or buy out your co. you have to do a bit better than

"umm errr <looks down, shuffles shoes umcomfortably> so would you like a company? it's good, honest"

You don't put an advert online saying

"apparently some people would like to buy a car so I'm selling mine as it's a healthy running car"

you say something like

"for sale: <make> <model> car for sale, <trimmings/outstanding qualities to tempt possible buyer to buy>, worth <large figure based upon your opinion of previous details>, selling for <smaller value to make it look a good deal> for a quick sale"

What you sell is "it existed for few years and had healthy accounts".

Somebody mentioned this possibility , I don`t know anything more really. And I assume you wouldn`t get more than 1 K anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by supergal View Post

Somebody mentioned this possibility , I don`t know anything more really. And I assume you wouldn`t get more than 1 K anyway.
      Why don't you just read Chefs excellent posts then answer his questions.... He might even make an offer.

PS Circa 1K for "it existed for few years and had healthy accounts" ain't gonna happen.

Comment

It depends entirely what the buyer was looking for.

For example, if you start a company today to import processors and RAM, then sell them abroad, you'll have trouble getting HMRC to clear you for VAT registration. A history helps so has value.

If you want to buy large amounts of wholesale computer hardware and have no trading history, you will be unable to use the experian cheque clearance thingy or may fail checks to allow you 30 day credit accounts with suppliers. A history has value.

Probably, asking a bunch of contractors who have only ever started a company to avoid PAYE, is not the best forum. Find people who trade in company registrations and ask them, rather than the average inexperienced contractor on here.

HTH..
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post

For example, if you start a company today to import processors and RAM, then sell them abroad, you'll have trouble getting HMRC to clear you for VAT registration. A history helps so has value.

If you want to buy large amounts of wholesale computer hardware and have no trading history, you will be unable to use the experian cheque clearance thingy or may fail checks to allow you 30 day credit accounts with suppliers. A history has value.

Probably, asking a bunch of contractors who have only ever started a company to avoid PAYE, is not the best forum. Find people who trade in company registrations and ask them, rather than the average inexperienced contractor on here.

HTH..
          Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by supergal View Post

Ok, we're getting there, you think 1 grand is a good value for your co. I'll persist as I'm genuinely interested. Lets play yes/no then instead as you seem either pretty cagey or you're hiding something.

If I pay you £1,000 for your co.

Would I get:
            -a company bank account?
            -any cash capital?
            -any other capital (printers, phones, office signs, stationery etc.)
            -legal rights of company ownership?
            -any electronic rights i.e Domain Name, Website, control of any hosting packages currently assigned to the business
            -100% share rights
            -100% control over the company (i.e you are not a silent partner or non-exec director)
            -company logo rights/templates

Some yes/no questions about the company's health and the sale:
            -does the company have any debts in any form whatsoever?
            -will there be sufficient funds included in the company accounts to cover any bills up to the point of sale?
            -will you pay for an accountant to draw up company accounts up to the point of sale including any future income/debts/expenditure you are aware of?
            -will you pay for any costs in transferring the company from you to me inlcuding bank account, web space, domain name transfers and any other associated company details.
            -will you pay for a solicitor to write a contract to state the answers to my above questions?

In fact I'm selling a pen here, It's existed a few years and still writes, shall we swap for your co.? I was thinking of selling it for a grand as someone mentioned it was possible so it seems a fair deal so far unless i get further details.

If you want to know if the pen i'm selling is a rare collectors edition mont blanc or a biro I swiped from Argos then if you tell me further details about what I might get if I purchase your co. for £1,000, I'll tel lyou more about my pen and you can then decide if I should dip into my future childrens hard earned inheritence or swap it for a pen.
            The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post

HTH..
              I do so love people who make sweeping judgements about others..

and you are?

The OP has not yet stated that the company trades large wholesale computer products he's simply said he wants to sell a co. rather than close it and wants a grand for it. I'm simply asking for further/any details.

Comment

and you are?

The OP has not yet stated that the company trades large wholesale computer products he's simply said he wants to sell a co. rather than close it and wants a grand for it. I'm simply asking for further/any details.
                Whether or not the company has traded in computer parts, sports socks or lighters (FOUR FOR A PAHNND !!) matters not a single bit. If it has an unblemished trading history for two or three years, that has value for some people. That's all.

If you look at people who trade in 'off the shelf companys' you will see adverts for companys that have 'never traded' or '3 years accounts, current certificate of non trading'. As I said, it depends on what the buyer needs.

If you have a reason to want a clean company with a couple of years history, then it's worth something to you. If you don't, then it's not. If 'used' companys didn't have a value, then no one would be trading them :-)

Comment

And if you read my posts carefully you will see that I'm asking what do I get for the OP's perceived £1,000 value of his company?, is it solvent? will the OP prove it, who will incur the costs of this purchase and transfer etc.

These are not too tasking or personal questions IMO.

If I was looking for a company to purchase and go via one of the official vendors then for starters they tell you what you can expect to get on their website, you also know you have certain rights if what you purchase is not what you get. If I purchase the same thing from Ebay I would always ask questions to ensure what I believe I'm buying is what I'll actually receive. I believe it's called due diligence, this website might help the OP prepare for what people may ask.

Due Diligence Checklist: How to Perform Due Diligence on a Business

Comment

Chef, you seem to think I was having a go at you. Not the case.

I was trying to point out to the OP why selling his company may work for him and examples of why someone my want to pay for it.

I also advised him that he may want to go to the professionals for advice. (In a round about kind of a way )

Wasn't having a pop at the questions you were asking. You are correct, if the OP tries to sell a company himself, he'll need to be able to answer all of your q's and more.

Comment

In general though, he's right. The odd proper company here doesn't change the fact that in general CUK members are not typical companies. That's the point of a generalisation...
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X