• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Man criticised by Labour MPs for saying something sensible

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Of course, suggesting it is not the same as implementing it. For instance putting a cap on families who already have the children is problematic, you can't really just say "tough" and give benefits that genuinely are not enough to buy food, in a country with a welfare state... that would lead to homelessness and more importantly, bad PR.
    Solution for current "large" families wholly on benefits - hire social worker to be paid by State to look after kids during day time and parents HAVE TO work, ANY job they MUST take - from salary they get deductions made to pay for social worker. This way at least kinds might learn something and it would be fair.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      Sod giving them money. Give them food and clothing vouchers.
      Is that food from the state supermarket? Or is someone going to turn up with a state-sanctioned basket of healthy food
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        So this chap Hunt suggests that people who don't have any money should think it over a bit more before producing lots of children, and Labour call that "unreasonable and very cruel".
        While I agree with the principle (and salute his courage for saying as much), unfortunately, I can't see it stopping them, people like that who have no social concience or, indeed common sense, will carry on regardless, secure in the knowledge that "it's their right". Sadly, it's the kids who'll suffer in the end.

Decades of handouts have led to the emergence of the freeloader culture. We've made a rod for our own backs.
        The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          You should hear the criticism you get if you use the word "deserving poor".
          Yes, that's quite a big taboo too. Some kids at school spent their days bullying the brainy ones. The same kids laughed about the sporty ones while having a fag behind the bike shed. I wonder if there's a correlation between the current socio-economic position of these three groups and their actions at the time. I think there probably is.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Is that food from the state supermarket? Or is someone going to turn up with a state-sanctioned basket of healthy food
            Never had a problem with people eating carp. There's a fair chance they'll pop their clogs early and save a few quid on the tax bill. Speaking of such, I am pretty sure that what you eat has a big say in how well you age. When bored in a shopping queue I always have a quick look at people's shopping baskets and have noticed a definite correlation.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
              Never had a problem with people eating carp. There's a fair chance they'll pop their clogs early and save a few quid on the tax bill. Speaking of such, I am pretty sure that what you eat has a big say in how well you age. When bored in a shopping queue I always have a quick look at people's shopping baskets and have noticed a definite correlation.
              What, pensioners can't afford proper food?

Comment

Is that food from the state supermarket?
                We can start them off at LIDL/ALDI, and if they prove themselves worthy, upscale them to quarterly visits to ASDA.

HTH

SB in "cruel to be kind" mode
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I'm waiting for the "Well it's me human rights init?" argument. Standby for a raving left-footer to start harping on about every sperm being sacred...

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                    I'm waiting for the "Well it's me human rights init?" argument. Standby for a raving left-footer to start harping on about every sperm being sacred...

Comment

Working...
                    X