• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Take home pay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    The solution to this is permiedoom or joining a consultancy; sounds like he wants the best of both worlds without making the effort.
    I think that's incredibly unfair Mich.
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

If you're starting out or in a junior position this is a good start.

I have been lucky to know some very successful contractors who started from nothing. One a member of this board with no background and no qualifications found himself with a kid at 19 and just started from the bottom and worked his way up.

Another ex-forces, took a £15000 job only 7 years ago is now head of the entire DBA team for a major retail FMCG on over £120k per year.

Everyone has to start somewhere.

( I mentored both)
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        It might be well paid for his skillset, thats not the point.
        I cant imagine contracting on it, not by a million miles

Would it shock you to know I worked for 6 months last year on a lower rate than that, when there is literally feck all and the rates make travel/digs uneconomical there's little choice if you want to keep a roof over your family's head.

Believe me I wanted to take the "I'm not work for that attitude" but I had no choice.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
          I think that's incredibly unfair Mich.
          Not unfair at all; I'm advising him to budget for training and other costs that he hasn't considered. He needs to learn.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            If you're starting out or in a junior position this is a good start.

I have been lucky to know some very successful contractors who started from nothing. One a member of this board with no background and no qualifications found himself with a kid at 19 and just started from the bottom and worked his way up.

Another ex-forces, took a £15000 job only 7 years ago is now head of the entire DBA team for a major retail FMCG on over £120k per year.

Everyone has to start somewhere.

( I mentored both)
            Mentored : ran to the tea/coffee machine and collected the barmcakes from the bakery at lunchtime.

Hth.

On a serious note MF, I'm sure you got a lot of satisfaction from the process.

Comment

He needs to learn.
              Good grief.
              Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Well alright, I guess I've won the Barsteward of the Day Prize.

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

The solution to this is permiedoom or joining a consultancy; sounds like he wants the best of both worlds without making the effort.
                  That sounds a bit unfair to me. We all had to start somewhere and if we are still around we learnt from those early experiences. Getting experience on your CV is far more valuable than any hourly/daily rate, providing you don't draw attention to the rate (or if appropriate the demeaning nature of the engagement - perfectly okay to describe a sh1te shoveller as a hygiene attendant in my book) when seeking future appointments.

Comment

The bottom end is over-run with people who can fix PC's and do a bit of admin, people who digressed from these roles have found themselves falling back in the downturn. Most of the tech outsourcers only take on temps/contractors, the big players like EDS and Fujitsu can't take on permies because they've just laid off thousands.

This has caused a market rate collapse, ever wonder why you don't see lower/middle end IT jobs advertised? No need when every agent has 1,000's of CV's for every position.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Well alright, I guess I've won the Barsteward of the Day Prize.

Day?

Comment

Working...
                      X