• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Yesterday

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chef View Post
    yes, I've added a 5v barrel jack in the lower side of it, if it detects power for a few 10 secs then it displays a message on the LCD saying "Excess Voltage! Remove Power", after 30 more secs the LCD displays "3y↑בּ#* Vθц<%^&", after 3 mins the message flashes once and again at 4 mins, if you press the button twice in the 3-4min window it triggers the servo lock switch
    dont forget to cut the red wire before the blue
    otherwise

BOOM!!

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

yes, I've added a 5v barrel jack in the lower side of it, if it detects power for a few 10 secs then it displays a message on the LCD saying "Excess Voltage! Remove Power", after 30 more secs the LCD displays "3y↑בּ#* Vθц<%^&", after 3 mins the message flashes once and again at 4 mins, if you press the button twice in the 3-4min window it triggers the servo lock switch
      Have you built this yourself or bought it ?

Comment

the actual proposal might happen a few weeks later given that the ring is inside a Reverse Geocache box i.e it can only be opened at a certain GPS location, that location is a small island off the north coast of Germany which is approx 400km away from home and so we would need to plan a weekend away. The location is special to her and not just some random faraway island in the North Sea.
        Jesus, who are you getting engaged to, Mata Hari's grand-daughter? All sounds a bit "Mission Impossible". Good luck with it anyway, hope the box does not self-destruct!!
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I was thinking it sounded more like entering the numbers in Lost.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            You're going to give the ring and then propose later, or was that a typo? If you've got some crazy magic box, definitely propose at the time I'd say.

I never heard of one of those boxes though, I hope it's reliable
            yes, you read correctly, the ring is inside the box, I got the idea a "Monday Links from the fireside/bed/sofa" that nick posted
            The Reverse Geocache™ Puzzle Box*|*Arduiniana

the box is built in the way that it has a working circuit that works as expected, I've bought an antique victorian walnut burr jewellry box (similar ish to this) to house the stuff in with the circuitry hidden in the lid with a false lid inner (so it looks good). The box has been adjusted with a barrel jack in the lower left side, a 16x2 LCD and a flush stainless steel button (like you find inside a lift). Press the button and you get a message

"This is attempt 1 of 50"
            Distance 451km
            *Access Denied*
            Powering Off"

press it again you get "Attempt 2 of 50" etc.

the distance is the distance fromthe current box position to some hardcoded gps co-ordinates of the island. There is 10km of tolerance in the end location so it isn't required to be to the meter accurate in the opening location. the island is 9km wide and 2km from the shore, so if you're on the island the box will open.

Im currently in testing phase with it. changing the destination co-ords to 1km away the box opens, once I have the circuitry housed in the box and neatly arranged I can test further by setting destination co-ords to work etc.
            Last edited by chef; 10 November 2010, 09:31.
            The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I've just been reading about these. I hope you are not flying

Sir, did you pack this yourself?– No.

What’s inside?– I have no idea.

Can you open it please?– Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                Have you built this yourself or bought it ?
                built circuitry myself, bought the box, cut a hole in it for the lcd which sits very flush to the box and used a wood drill for the button hole which also sits flush, so presentation wise it looks very good and not "knocked up in a shed in 5 mins"

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                Jesus, who are you getting engaged to, Mata Hari's grand-daughter? All sounds a bit "Mission Impossible". Good luck with it anyway, hope the box does not self-destruct!!
                She know's I'm a bit geeky in building pc's etc. I know she'll appreciate the effort in making the thing and it is definately a unique way to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                  I've just been reading about these. I hope you are not flying

Sir, did you pack this yourself?– No.

What’s inside?– I have no idea.

Can you open it please?– Nope.
                  nope No flying involved

the island has a ferry to get to it and it's off the north coast of germany which we'd drive to

Comment

the romance aside, what I was thinking when I read this was

What a cracking story you will both have to tell, for the rest of your lives together

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                      the romance aside, what I was thinking when I read this was

What a cracking story you will both have to tell, for the rest of your lives together

thanks EO

Comment

Working...
                      X