• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Swindon is Britain's most ignorant town

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swindon is Britain's most ignorant town

Residents struggled to answer a set of questions posed by the BBC quiz series QI.

These included, identifying the colour of oranges. (The answer is orange although some from Honduras are green.)

The city of York was found to have the most intelligent inhabitants who answered correctly questions such as: What is paper money made from? Answer: Linen.

Another brain-teaser asked: How many legs does an octopus have? Answer: Just two. Octopuses have eight tentacles, two for walking and six for feeding.

The quiz toured 17 towns in England, Scotland and Wales putting different questions to 50 residents in each one. David Chambers, the tour's quiz master, described Swindon demonstrating "gross stupidity" and said that some residents thought that an octopus has 13 legs.

Swindon's disappointing result comes despite the fact that it is the home of Britain's first lending library and the new UK Space Agency.

Robert Buckland, MP for South Swindon, dismissed the result of the survey.

He told the Daily Mail: "I am very proud to represent Swindon and I think that things like this are a load of nonsense."

Source: Swindon is Britain's most ignorant town, claims QI - Telegraph

----

I guess it explains how our own DimPrawn could afford to have a mansion there, now he is happy to live in a shoebox but at least not far off London

I was waiting for someone to pick up on this
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Residents struggled to answer a set of questions posed by the BBC quiz series QI.

These included, identifying the colour of oranges. (The answer is orange although some from Honduras are green.)

The city of York was found to have the most intelligent inhabitants who answered correctly questions such as: What is paper money made from? Answer: Linen.

Another brain-teaser asked: How many legs does an octopus have? Answer: Just two. Octopuses have eight tentacles, two for walking and six for feeding.

The quiz toured 17 towns in England, Scotland and Wales putting different questions to 50 residents in each one. David Chambers, the tour's quiz master, described Swindon demonstrating "gross stupidity" and said that some residents thought that an octopus has 13 legs.

Swindon's disappointing result comes despite the fact that it is the home of Britain's first lending library and the new UK Space Agency.

Robert Buckland, MP for South Swindon, dismissed the result of the survey.

He told the Daily Mail: "I am very proud to represent Swindon and I think that things like this are a load of nonsense."

Source: Swindon is Britain's most ignorant town, claims QI - Telegraph

----

I guess it explains how our own DimPrawn could afford to have a mansion there, now he is happy to live in a shoebox but at least not far off London
      May the supreme being strike me down, but I actually agree with the politico! The survey was more than likely a load of tosh. The organisers of QI should remember that making someone else look bad, doesn't make you look good. Poor show from the BBC yet again.

P.S.

Not surprised York was the best

Comment

Didn't QI say oranges were green the other day?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Perhaps while he was out the birds ate the breadcrumb trail he left and he simply couldn't find it!
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

What's the difference between an octopus' arms and its legs? Sure, they may push off with their back arms, but why are they called legs, or is this just rubbish? Is there an armatomical difference?

Comment

Here you go. I don't remember how they scored the question on QI, but I fancy you would have lost points for saying oranges are orange

The ones in the supermarket are grown green and use a gas to remove the chlorophyll.
              QI (H series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
              As entertaining as QI is, most people probably end up knowing less than they did before they watched a programme.

Best is when they pose the same question a series later with the answer changed, the previous one now being wrong, though I don't have any instances in memory.

Comment

What a pile of carp.

That's all.
                Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

I used to quite like QI but I'm getting rather sick of that smug, ubiquitous twat Fry.

I'm sure Swindon, for all it's faults (and there are many) is pretty much representative of any medium-sized town in the UK. The denizens of Swindon are probably no more, or less thick, than anywhere else. It's just sheer bloody snobbery.

I didn't know an octopus only had TWO legs ffs

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                    I used to quite like QI but I'm getting rather sick of that smug, ubiquitous twat Fry.

I'm sure Swindon, for all it's faults (and there are many) is pretty much representative of any medium-sized town in the UK. The denizens of Swindon are probably no more, or less thick, than anywhere else. It's just sheer bloody snobbery.

I didn't know an octopus only had TWO legs ffs
                    I think it´s really Alan Davies that makes it worth watching.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X