• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Kindle

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kindle

Now that I will be travelling 2 hours a day for the next 3 months, I am thinking of asking Santa for a Kindle, anyone got one?

Originally posted by kandr View Post
    Now that I will be travelling 2 hours a day for the next 3 months, I am thinking of asking Santa for a Kindle, anyone got one?
    I got one for my other half in Sept -a very popular gift

I have a Sony e-reader which is rather good too, and I use it a lot
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

I buy books.

Cheaper, easier to read, and pass them on when you've finished (or don't worry if you leave them on the train/in the hotel).

Clever things they've been around for a while.
      Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
      Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

Originally posted by Wodewick View Post
        I buy books.

Cheaper, easier to read, and pass them on when you've finished (or don't worry if you leave them on the train/in the hotel).

Clever things they've been around for a while.
        Cheaper? Maybe short term. Also you can get any book with a few minutes rather than waiting a few days.
        Save the trees.

Comment

Cheaper? Maybe short term. Also you can get any book with a few minutes rather than waiting a few days.
          Save the trees.
          Go to charidee shops and car boots - recycle.

Read the blurb and take a chance - take them back when you are done.

FFS how urgent can it be to read a fu<king book that you need to do it within minutes!!!
          No No don't tell me... you read a few lines then decide you do't like it so need another one.
          Jim is a Jedi! - Dara

Comment

Save the trees.
            Brilliant. Take it to a desert island with you.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

FFS how urgent can it be to read a fu<king book that you need to do it within minutes!!!
              No No don't tell me... you read a few lines then decide you do't like it so need another one.
              What I like about the Kindle is the fact that you can take a lot of books with you, technical or otherwise) and its not going to weigh more that a slim paperback.
              The screen on them is fantastic, I actually got to handle one recently and I was very impressed
              I agree about the rest of what you said though and unless I start travelling a lot by train, I'll stick with the paper books and hold out for a more unified ebook format and let them sort out the price issue.
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

I too read books and recycle them from the charity shops - our house (and garage) is full of them.
                When you're traveling, or away from home during the week these gadgets are great.
                I think there is a place for both.
                I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
                  I too read books and recycle them from the charity shops - our house (and garage) is full of them.
                  When you're traveling, or away from home during the week these gadgets are great.
                  Well I travel and stay away from home. I have never travelled far/long enough that I have got through more than a couple of books, certainly not more than I could easily carry in a pocket of a Laptop bag, and I can always squeeze several in a suitcase.

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
                  I think there is a place for both.
                  Fair enough - I can't argue with that.
                  I am pretty much a luddite though (typing onto my Laptop).
                  Jim is a Jedi! - Dara

Comment

Yeah im going to fart about a charity shop looking for a book I want, 1-100 chance of finding. Books are all about the words, reading a book from paper or screen makes no difference to the literature.. I can read a book in a day or two, I could have read a book by the time it is delivered. So by the time I buy 10 books I have paid for my kindle, it's a no-brainer really. Unless you like to waste money, time, trees etc...

Maybe you should go to the charity shop and look for some books on logic and reasoning.

You have been kandrslapped.
                    Last edited by kandr; 30 November 2010, 22:11.

Comment

Working...
                    X