• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why is comms so f***ing hard?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    This reminded me that I hadn't installed my new printer on my main (Ubuntu) desktop. Just sorted that problem - it was remarkably easy. And I've never installed a printer on Ubuntu before.
    Having got to Alternative Solution Number 84, I tripped up there. Connecting an HP LaserJet 1020 directly to the Linux desktop which fails with a USB error while Linux is loading. Much searching online just returns owners of specific bits of hardware reporting the same problem and the Linux people saying it is a cable fault. Yet the same device works on the same PC when running Windows, which is apparently, a fault with Windows. And these threads began about 18 months ago and are still ongoing.

So even connecting a printer direct to a Linux box can be a right royal pain in the arse.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
      Having got to Alternative Solution Number 84, I tripped up there. Connecting an HP LaserJet 1020 directly to the Linux desktop which fails with a USB error while Linux is loading. Much searching online just returns owners of specific bits of hardware reporting the same problem and the Linux people saying it is a cable fault. Yet the same device works on the same PC when running Windows, which is apparently, a fault with Windows. And these threads began about 18 months ago and are still ongoing.

So even connecting a printer direct to a Linux box can be a right royal pain in the arse.
      I've never had a printer work in Ubuntu. My current printer is supposedly Linux compatible, but all I get is pages of blank paper when I print, which is an improvement over my last printer I suppose, which did nothing. Manufacturers also seem to put little effort into providing drivers and might even point you to a third party website which turns out to be carp. I've pretty much given up on Ubuntu for when needing to use any hardware devices, e.g. sound, printer and DVD.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        I've never had a printer work in Ubuntu. My current printer is supposedly Linux compatible, but all I get is pages of blank paper when I print, which is an improvement over my last printer I suppose, which did nothing. Manufacturers also seem to put little effort into providing drivers and might even point you to a third party website which turns out to be carp. I've pretty much given up on Ubuntu for when needing to use any hardware devices, e.g. sound, printer and DVD.
        Surely life is too short for all that f***ing about?

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          What it actually needs is a thick developer, with a poor short-term memory, to design a graphical interface - Nobody with an IQ over 100, or who can remember more than three or four digits at a time, should be allowed near it!
          There you go EO, SB, DP and BB.
          A ready made Plan B for you.

Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Even Eric Raymond can't do it, so what hope do we lesser mortals have?

(See also John Gruber's response, Ronco Spray-On Usability)
            Chuckle. Both from early 2004, and now in late 2010, I just saw similar dialogues with:
            • Fedora 14
            • Ubuntu Workstation 10.10
            • Linux Mint 9

this using instances of the above under VirtualBox. It could be that the Windows host firewall is getting in the way. I did get printing to a Windows shared printer working when I had a couple of those as dual boot systems, but the problem of dual booting Winders and Linux is a whole 'nother issue...

Right on cue for this thread - Plan B anyone?
            Last edited by Sysman; 6 December 2010, 18:34.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              There you go EO, SB, DP and BB.
              A ready made Plan B for you.

I like people who think that making something easy to use is "pandering". It makes me look so much better in comparison.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
              X