• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Post viral fatigue

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post viral fatigue

Anyone had it? How did you get it diagnosed? I have been ill for 13 weeks and steadily sinking lower. I had a week off a couple of weeks ago to try and get back on top, but it wasn't really a week off as I was chasing round after social workers, doctors and nurses while visiting my Grandfather in hospital.

I saw the doc a couple of weeks ago and he hinted at post viral fatigue as I have not really ever recovered from a bout of flu about 13 weeks ago. He has arranged blood tests, but the first time round they cocked the dates up and I have my second appointment this Wednesday.

It sometimes really irks me when people just give you a tap on the back and say, you'll be alright old chap, and all the time you just feel yourself sinking lower and lower. And the doctors just don't appear to listen and just put you on waiting lists for tests.

Can't I just keep ODing on vitamin C until it fecks off?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Or you could grow a pair and get on with life... Just kidding

Sure it's not stress related brought on by the carehome/family hassles?

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      Anyone had it? How did you get it diagnosed? I have been ill for 13 weeks and steadily sinking lower. I had a week off a couple of weeks ago to try and get back on top, but it wasn't really a week off as I was chasing round after social workers, doctors and nurses while visiting my Grandfather in hospital.

I saw the doc a couple of weeks ago and he hinted at post viral fatigue as I have not really ever recovered from a bout of flu about 13 weeks ago. He has arranged blood tests, but the first time round they cocked the dates up and I have my second appointment this Wednesday.

It sometimes really irks me when people just give you a tap on the back and say, you'll be alright old chap, and all the time you just feel yourself sinking lower and lower. And the doctors just don't appear to listen and just put you on waiting lists for tests.

Better to get blood tests done to rule out anything serious, then look at diet and sleep.

Comment

What are the symptoms? I prescribe a year off on some desert island doing nothing all day except whatever you want.

Comment

You have been under a lot of stress recently. I'm not a doctor but I'd suggest that will make you feel worse than you actually are. Eat well, sleep well and brush up on your pool/darts/whatever makes you feel good.
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

You could try eating some Thai green curry for a few nights (coconut milk is supposed to be a good anti-viral).

Comment

Fork out £100 or so for a DNA test for haemochromatosis, to see if you have the C282Y mutation.

1 in 8 Europeans are carriers, and 1 in 200 have two copies which means they accumulate excess iron in their blood. The older you get, the more serious the effects, and sufferers rarely live much past 70 and often flake out much younger, with pancreatic problems for example.

On the plus side, you're much less likely to die of some diseases such as bubonic plague and Legionnaires Disease, whose bacteria multiply in white blood cells (phagocytes), because in people with haemochromatosis, er, ironically these cells contain lower amounts iron and this hampers the bacteria's growth. (They reckon that evolutionary pressure in past plagues such as the Black Death is what allowed this mutation to become so common.)

P.S. Many GPs are woefully clueless about this condition, and quite possibly some have never even heard of it.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Am I the only one who read a rude word the first time round?
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  Fork out £100 or so for a DNA test for haemochromatosis, to see if you have the C282Y mutation.
                  My mum's got that...

SY01, I have a cup of "harden the **** up" waiting for you at your local.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Get your vitamin D levels checked as well. Many people suffer from D3 deficiency without knowing it, and the symptoms can be similar to chronic fatigue.

Comment

Working...
                    X