• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is there anything more weak-minded and meaningless than having "faith"?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    a bit like you and your faith in AGW models

I don't have faith in AGW, I believe the balance of evidence suggests it is a valid belief to assume that man is changing the climate through invcreased emissions of CO2.
    If definitive evidence emerged to the contrary I would take it on board.
    However you and your fellow village idiots ignorant wittering on the subject does not constitute evidence against the model.

HTH
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Religious types talk about their faith. But what is that really? Essentially it's an abrogation of one's intellect, reason and the evidence of your senses in order to believe, with no grounds at all, in the existence of a supernatural being.
      I always find this a weak argument. If one's intellectual capacity was unlimited and you could state that you were omnipotently knowledgable then you have an argument. Just because you cannot categorically disprove the concept of God infers that there is a statistical probability that God exists.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I don't have faith in AGW, I believe the balance of evidence suggests it is a valid belief to assume that man is changing the climate through invcreased emissions of CO2.
        If definitive evidence emerged to the contrary I would take it on board.
        However you and your fellow village idiots ignorant wittering on the subject does not constitute evidence against the model.

HTH
        baaaa, baaaa!
        four legs good, two legs bad

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
          Yes, the need to 'big up' yourself by belittling others beliefs. The arrogance in assuming your viewpoint is the only valid one.
          Are people who don't believe in genocide "bigging themselves up" with regards to people who do?
          Its an extreme example but it does show that not all beliefs are equally valid.
          Or are you of the post-modern opinion that everyone's beliefs are of equal worth?
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            I always find this a weak argument. If one's intellectual capacity was unlimited and you could state that you were omnipotently knowledgable then you have an argument. Just because you cannot categorically disprove the concept of God infers that there is a statistical probability that God exists.
            funny enough, Aristotle and Thomas Aquinas had a theory and then produced a model which 'proved' God exists

dont tell SasGoru

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              Just because you cannot categorically disprove the concept of God infers that there is a statistical probability that God exists.
              Complete logical fallacy.
              I can't categorically disprove the existence of the flying spaghetti monster (may his/her/its noodly appendage be blessed), does that mean there's a statiscal probability that it/she/he exists?
              What do you mean by statistical probablity anyway as opposed to straight probability?
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                funny enough, Aristotle and Thomas Aquinas had a theory and then produced a model which 'proved' God exists

dont tell SasGoru

Pathetic.

You really are very limited aren't you?
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Complete logical fallacy.
                  I can't categorically disprove the existence of the flying spaghetti monster (may his/her/its noodly appendage be blessed), does that mean there's a statiscal probability that it/she/he exists?
                  What do you mean by statistical probablity anyway as opposed to straight probability?
                  I'll give you 10000 to 1
                  Plus 20000 to 1 if Margaret Thatcher and Elvis are flying it.

Comment

Religious types talk about their faith. But what is that really? Essentially it's an abrogation of one's intellect, reason and the evidence of your senses in order to believe, with no grounds at all, in the existence of a supernatural being.
                    Oh no, not another philosophy thread.

On a more serious note, it's interesting contrast how sasguru (or anyone) is able to freely critise faith here, as opposed to for example in Pakistan:

BBC News - Pakistani Christian Asia Bibi 'has price on her head'
                    ...his wife, Asia Bibi, has been sentenced to death for blaspheming against Islam. That is enough to make the entire family a target.
                    I imagine the pitch forks would be coming out in parts of America too. Is the UK the most enlightened, in terms of being able to openly criticise faith, without being hanged, society in the world?

Comment

[QUOTE=TimberWolf;1243188]Oh no, not another philosophy thread.

On a more serious note, it's interesting contrast how sasguru (or anyone) is able to freely critise faith here, as opposed to for example in Pakistan:

QUOTE]

Good point! Religious criticism is allowed on CUK, but if you mention the one legged, lesbian fuzzy wuzzy society you seem to get in trouble.

Comment

Working...
                      X