• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is there anything more weak-minded and meaningless than having "faith"?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

I imagine the pitch forks would be coming out in parts of America too. Is the UK the most enlightened, in terms of being able to openly criticise faith, without being hanged, society in the world?
    Well most of the Western European world would be OK with that too, provided, of course, you don't annoy the Islamofascists.
    But of course you shouldn't be "bigging yourself up" with regard to the the Islamofascists, that's just being arrogant
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

[QUOTE=MarillionFan;1243189]
      Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      Oh no, not another philosophy thread.

On a more serious note, it's interesting contrast how sasguru (or anyone) is able to freely critise faith here, as opposed to for example in Pakistan:

QUOTE]

Good point! Religious criticism is allowed on CUK, but if you mention the one legged, lesbian fuzzy wuzzy society you seem to get in trouble.
      That's no way to talk about MP.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by kandr View Post
        Who are the proponents of these acts? The religious, the faithful.
        Obviously.
        The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Is there anything more weak-minded and meaningless than having "faith"?
          Troll.

But to answer your question... I'd say yes:
          1. posting about imaginary successes to people who have never met you in order to bolster your self-esteem
          2. starting posts on an anonymous internet board specifically to attack other posters to make yourself feel important
          Last edited by d000hg; 7 December 2010, 11:12.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Religious types talk about their faith. But what is that really? Essentially it's an abrogation of one's intellect, reason and the evidence of your senses in order to believe, with no grounds at all, in the existence of a supernatural being.
            I think that's an extremely good definition of faith.

Someone with faith will surely answer "Yes - so what's the problem?"

It only appears weak minded to you because your point of view is different, i.e. evidence based.

If you want a proper debate about this, I suggest you visit here: Atheist Central -- Ray Comfort's Blog
            Where, incidentally, you'll find proof of God's existence, right on the home page

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Troll.
              Idiot.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by CUK
                You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to sasguru again.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Now, now, that's not very Christian is it?
                  I think your God probably disapproves of that.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Wow this is like the Hitchens vs Blair debate on religion only they used words and constructed points.

Comment

Originally posted by kandr View Post
                      Wow this is like the Hitchens vs Blair debate on religion only they used words and constructed points.
                      Well there is documented evidence that religious people are usually less intelligent than non-religious.
                      That explains his knuckle-dragging, I suppose.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X