• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No one sells you anything straight anymore

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No one sells you anything straight anymore

Everything you try and buy there are some kind of awkward package for you to choose from, all of them con you or overcharge you for something.

Their mission is to get you on a direct debit. Then they've got you by the balls. Before you know it you get letters saying how their poor old costs have gone up and you have to pay more. You try and complain then realise you're stuck with them for another 9 months.

You just can't buy anything with honest advice anymore. Everyone wants to package what you really want with junk and direct debit you for far more than it's worth.

e.g. opticians. How on earth can they justify what they charge for contact lens 'schemes' ? Buy the constituent parts from asda or internet and it's well cheaper, ridiculously cheaper.

This country SUCKS.

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
    Everything you try and buy there are some kind of awkward package for you to choose from, all of them con you or overcharge you for something.

Their mission is to get you on a direct debit. Then they've got you by the balls. Before you know it you get letters saying how their poor old costs have gone up and you have to pay more. You try and complain then realise you're stuck with them for another 9 months.

You just can't buy anything with honest advice anymore. Everyone wants to package what you really want with junk and direct debit you for far more than it's worth.

e.g. opticians. How on earth can they justify what they charge for contact lens 'schemes' ? Buy the constituent parts from asda or internet and it's well cheaper, ridiculously cheaper.

This country SUCKS.
    With Energy / Electricity companies, they are accountable to nobody, including the shareholders.

With Opticians, they don't have a system of piling it high and selling things cheap (unless they are SpecSavers or Boots). So it is unfair for one to tarnish Opticians with the same brush. Opticians have overheads that doesn't really apply to the big guns.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
      With Energy / Electricity companies, they are accountable to nobody, including the shareholders.

With Opticians, they don't have a system of piling it high and selling things cheap (unless they are SpecSavers or Boots). So it is unfair for one to tarnish Opticians with the same brush. Opticians have overheads that doesn't really apply to the big guns.
      I couldn't care less, opticians have had it good for too long and the prices charged are a joke.

Comment

I couldn't care less, opticians have had it good for too long and the prices charged are a joke.
        I disagree. Opticians know they have competition with the Internet. But lets face it... Opticians have a USP that the Internet suppliers don't. Opticians can advise you which lenses would be suitable for you by doing various eye tests (at a cost, or free if you have a pre-existing medical condition). With the NHS making cutbacks to the Opticians funding, they have to find their monies from somewhere.

Saying that, I have put off buying new glasses at the moment until I get a new contract.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
          Just got final bill statement - they owe me £663!

Comment

think I've hit a nerve, is your boyfriend an optician or something?

it's a joke. They advise more expensive more profitable contact lenses to line their own pockets. Hardly no difference between them.

Comment

All it takes is a bit of common sense and attention to detail to avoid the "extra" crap they try to sell you.

I can't comment on opticians as I'm still lucky enough to not need their services although I'm overdue an eye test.
              In their defence I'd imagine that an opticians has quite a large overhead in equipment, premises, staff and training and a fairly large amount tied up in lense and frame stock so it's not surprising that their services are fairly expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                All it takes is a bit of common sense and attention to detail to avoid the "extra" crap they try to sell you.

I can't comment on opticians as I'm still lucky enough to not need their services although I'm overdue an eye test.
                In their defence I'd imagine that an opticians has quite a large overhead in equipment, premises, staff and training and a fairly large amount tied up in lense and frame stock so it's not surprising that their services are fairly expensive.
                Don't defend them for them. They're a cartel. I've been to several they're all the same, up to the same old tricks, it's nothing to do with health service all they care is putting you on direct debits and making lame excuses why you need to buy new frames from them.

Thankyou ASDA for providing much cheaper alternative. Opticians want to put me on a £23/month direct debit just for monthly lenses and solution...I can get monthly lenses and the required solution for less than £10/month from ASDA. GOOD. Let's bust this cartel.

& the opticians HATE IT when you ask for just an eye test. If they can't put you on a DD they go mad and inconvenience you on purpose. I've got a case going on with trading standards at the moment.

Comment

Don't defend them for them. They're a cartel. I've been to several they're all the same, up to the same old tricks, it's nothing to do with health service all they care is putting you on direct debits and making lame excuses why you need to buy new frames from them.

Thankyou ASDA for providing much cheaper alternative. Opticians want to put me on a £23/month direct debit just for monthly lenses and solution...I can get monthly lenses and the required solution for less than £10/month from ASDA. GOOD. Let's bust this cartel.
                  Quick, post your expose on wikileaks!!!

The world needs to be told!

Comment

I keep meaning to give this outfit a try.

Comment

Working...
                    X