• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FOREST online petition against EU tobacco restrictions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreenLabel View Post

Precisely why I hate the idea of public health. Once something like the NHS is implemented, those in charge need to find ways to limit the costs of running it. One simple way to do this is to stop people from making their own free choices about partaking in activities that may harm them. Hence laws on wearing seatbelts, smoking, drugs, drinking, jaywalking, motorbike helmets, etc. Granted, none of those are particularly restrictive, but as health costs increase politicians will seek further ways to regulate our lives - where will it stop? Will they ban salt? Butter? Skiing? Who draws the line?
    Absolutely spot on. That's the main reason I detest the NHS too, that and it's inherent gross inefficiency.

Originally posted by GreenLabel View Post

Second-hand smoke is an overhyped myth. There are people who smoke a pack a day and live till they're ninety. Given that, it seems unlikely that you'll contract cancer from a few sniffs of the odd cigarette as you walk past a smoker on the footpath.
    Right on the button again. I'd only add the importance of adequate ventilation, both to minimize second-hand smoke (more specifically "naughty end" smoke, from the burning end), and the dampness which leads to chest infections and mould.

Aspergillus mould probably causes a hundred times the number of cancers as second-hand smoke. But you rarely if ever hear about that, as it isn't a fashionable health neurosis.

Also, with all this talk about energy saving, the last thing the Government wants to encourage is air conditioning and open windows.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      Mmmm, fags.
      I did not you liked them so much.
      What will the wife say?
      "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

I not comfortable having to pay your NHS bills
        You're not. The duty on tobacco pays the entire NHS budget more than twice over. Smokers should be given NHS Gold Club cards.

Originally posted by Ministry of Truth
        ... or any of the people that you inflict cancer on with second hand smoke.
        The scientific evidence to support this also went up in a puff of smoke. It's nothing more than over used scare-mongering propoganda.

I'm amazed though from a business perspective, that the tobacco industry is not using its resources to get into electronic cigarettes themselves in a big, big way.

Comment

Working...
        X