• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC Clearance Advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC Clearance Advice

Hello all, sorry for long post.

As I understand it, SC clearance is valid for one year after leaving a role where it was regularly required. I was made redundant by a company and finished with them on 11/12/09, so strictly speaking it should lapse this Saturday.

After months of trying to get an SC Cleared job in order to keep the clearance alive (by sod’s law) I’ve been offered 3 days work for a Gov Department, through an agency, starting this Friday (10th Dec). Now this is where the advice is needed...

Does the clearance HAVE to be transferred to another recognised company/Govt Department to keep it alive, or is simply ‘using’ it enough to keep it valid? The agency aren’t able to offer any advice on this matter and might not be too keen to employ me if the clearance expires halfway through the work. If it needs to be transferred from my old company to the Gov Dept, would the Gov Dept I’d be working for have to go through a ton of paperwork with the DVA?

No doubt they wouldn't be too keen to do this, or take on-board somebody’s clearance just to employ them for 3 days? Or would they?
    If anybody’s been in similar circumstances or could offer any advice it would be most appreciated!

Originally posted by Eric Shinn View Post
    Hello all, sorry for long post.

As I understand it, SC clearance is valid for one year after leaving a role where it was regularly required. I was made redundant by a company and finished with them on 11/12/09, so strictly speaking it should lapse this Saturday.

After months of trying to get an SC Cleared job in order to keep the clearance alive (by sod’s law) I’ve been offered 3 days work for a Gov Department, through an agency, starting this Friday (10th Dec). Now this is where the advice is needed...

Does the clearance HAVE to be transferred to another recognised company/Govt Department to keep it alive, or is simply ‘using’ it enough to keep it valid? The agency aren’t able to offer any advice on this matter and might not be too keen to employ me if the clearance expires halfway through the work. If it needs to be transferred from my old company to the Gov Dept, would the Gov Dept I’d be working for have to go through a ton of paperwork with the DVA?

No doubt they wouldn't be too keen to do this, or take on-board somebody’s clearance just to employ them for 3 days? Or would they?
    If anybody’s been in similar circumstances or could offer any advice it would be most appreciated!
    Try posting this in Business/Contract you might get a more sensible answer. Or a mod might move it for you.

But, yes, no, a bit I think but it should be routine. Dunno & maybe.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Shinn View Post
      Does the clearance HAVE to be transferred to another recognised company/Govt Department to keep it alive, or is simply ‘using’ it enough to keep it valid?
      Have you been offered a job? I mean properly signed/done deal?

Find out who the security officer is at the client's site and explain your situation. The security officers I've crossed paths in the past have usually been very sympathetic to my situation and go out of they're way to assist. The agent does not give a flying <insert appropriate verb here> so don't even for a second think about letting them dictate your livelihood.

3 months, 3 days or 3 minutes if you're exposed to sensitive project information that requires clearance then have it you must.
      Last edited by scooterscot; 7 December 2010, 23:43.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I'm in the same boat, I had it transferred in January '10 but last used it in April for 3 days and I have no idea how this was recorded to set the clock from that date? The security officer said I get 12 months since I last used it but how do they know I used it??

I can see SC becoming a bargaining chip for a premium again as lots of people are lapsing due to lack of work.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          I can see SC becoming a bargaining chip for a premium again as lots of people are lapsing due to lack of work.
          Depends how much experience you have coupled with how many competitors.

@ 12 years + experience in my industry I've let my SC expire in the past and still got an SC position whilst placed on a waver for the period to obtain clearance.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Depends how much experience you have coupled with how many competitors.

@ 12 years + experience in my industry I've let my SC expire in the past and still got an SC position whilst placed on a waver for the period to obtain clearance.
            I don't have SC, but I was recently offered two contracts which require SC, and could start after just the basic BPSS checks (essentially a standard employment check required by HMG) with the SC clearing process running along in the background.

So either I'm in high demand or there have been changes/relaxation in the recruitment requirements for SC contracts.

Comment

I had a similar question a few years ago, could get any answers and was at my wits end. Then I did something outrageous - I rang the guy who runs the SC outfit. He was the most helpful guy I ever came across in the public sector, he was mortified about the mess that the rules and system were in, and he got me sorted out in no time.
              Cant even remember his name or contact details - have a dig around
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
              X