• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dirk Gently

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dirk Gently

's holistic detective agency.

Is on BBC4 on Sunday (I think).

Ta for the tip.

Can't see it on this Sunday's programme guide, so maybe it's destined for another one

Beeb Four looks right
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

It's on Thursday 16th at 9pm
      Repeated on the 17th at 01:10
      Repeated on the 17th at 03:40
      Repeated on the 21st at 22:10
      Repeated on the 22nd at 23:20

Comment

Never liked Dirk Gently that much... somewhat of a let down after Hitchhiker.
        Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
        Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

Originally posted by Wodewick View Post
          Never liked Dirk Gently that much... somewhat of a let down after Hitchhiker.
          Yes, I only got a few pages in when I realised that and put it down. Never finished it. Was it good?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
            Yes, I only got a few pages in when I realised that and put it down. Never finished it. Was it good?
            The first one was quite good I thought, but the second book was dire. It'll be interesting to see what they can do with it, but being BBC4 they don't have to try that hard.

Poor old Douglas Adams had one completely genius idea when he was young, then seemed doomed never to be able to repeat that success. Though he can count himself lucky he died before the abomination that was the Hitchiker's movie saw the light of day.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              I like the book, I do prefer the Hitch Hikers Guide books as they're utter classics, but the Dirk Gently book is good in its own right.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                The first one was quite good I thought, but the second book was dire. It'll be interesting to see what they can do with it, but being BBC4 they don't have to try that hard.

Poor old Douglas Adams had one completely genius idea when he was young, then seemed doomed never to be able to repeat that success. Though he can count himself lucky he died before the abomination that was the Hitchiker's movie saw the light of day.
                I read the books and liked the movie.

'Last Chance to See' by Douglas Adams and Mark Carwardine is a great read, laugh your socks of funny in parts but never deviates from the serious subject.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  None of it benefited much from the rewriting after the first radio series.

That really was the classic.

Adams busily deleted everything that he hadn't written himself.
                  I always thought of the original as a joint effort between Adams and the BBC Radiophonic Workshop. It really wouldn't have been the same without the sound effects.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Off topic, but I found an old MS DOS 5 book while clearing out the garage. Knowing how cutting edge you are, I wondered if you might want it.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X