• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

M4 average speed cameras trap 6,500 in south Wales

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    And what about variable speed limits?
    Then you press the little +/- button on the steering wheel to adjust your cruise control to match...
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      Then you press the little +/- button on the steering wheel to adjust your cruise control to match...
      Don't you feel pressurised to conform to other motorists speeds and general motorway madness? Well, you must do if you are encroaching a car in front, but even in the slow lane there's a great deal of pressure to close gaps and to increase speed if a juggernaut starts tailgating. I'd feel uncomfortable using cruise control.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        Don't you feel pressurised to conform to other motorists speeds and general motorway madness? Well, you must do if you are encroaching a car in front, but even in the slow lane there's a great deal of pressure to close gaps and to increase speed if a juggernaut starts tailgating. I'd feel uncomfortable using cruise control.
        You get used to it very quickly and it's certainly a good way of eating up long drives in a more relaxed fashion. The most annoying thing though on long motorway journeys is the number of people you'll overtake then two minutes later see the same car go past 10-15mph faster than you, a few minutes later you're overtaking them again. Either that or people doing about 60mph, you pull out to overtake then they accelerate to stop you overtaking, that happens far too often to be anything other than infuriating.

Comment

Nope.

If traffic slows below the limit just brake and the cruise control goes off but remembers the speed you were doing so you can turn it back on again when things speed up again.

If someone wants to tailgate me in the slow lane when I'm doing the current speed limit let them, nothing stopping them overtaking me if they want to.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            More fines handed out for driving then knife crime.

Brill.
            There are more deaths by car than by knife, and far more people who use their car as a weapon (or don't know how to stop it being a weapon).

I wouldn't have thought CC would be well-suited to English roads, busy and twisty as they are. Driving in Nevada it was a great thing though.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              There are more deaths by car than by knife, and far more people who use their car as a weapon (or don't know how to stop it being a weapon).

I wouldn't have thought CC would be well-suited to English roads, busy and twisty as they are. Driving in Nevada it was a great thing though.
              Only ever use it on Motorways or good stretches of Dual Carriage way. I do a lot of miles on both and it makes life far easier.

Comment

Lorries won't tailgate if you do the speed your sat-nav shows rather than your under-reading car speedo

One of the benifits of using cruise is it makes you anticipate events far ahead so you don't have to come off control - bonus, you find your driving style smooths out as does fuel consumption

Fly in the ointment is the fookwits who overtake you and then slow down to a slower speed than the cruise is set for; or the non-cruise dimwits who fail to realise that going up inclines means you have to press the pedal a little bit more to maintain the same speed
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Driving in Oz, the US and Canada, I use cruise control 90% of the time and it is a fantastic boon. In the UK , I wouldnt use it ever. In this country, you can not afford to relax for a second

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    Lorries won't tailgate if you do the speed your sat-nav shows rather than your under-reading car speedo

One of the benifits of using cruise is it makes you anticipate events far ahead so you don't have to come off control - bonus, you find your driving style smooths out as does fuel consumption

Fly in the ointment is the fookwits who overtake you and then slow down to a slower speed than the cruise is set for; or the non-cruise dimwits who fail to realise that going up inclines means you have to press the pedal a little bit more to maintain the same speed
                    My Range Rovers had adaptive cruise control. Spooky stuff but it worked once you learned to trust it.

Comment

The variable ones do my fruit in! Last week on the M42 at 9pm they had 2 signs on slowing the traffic to 50 and then 40. There was nothing there - no accident, nothing!! All they did was slow an empty motorway down.

Quite often when I used to drive back on a Thursday night the variable speed thing would be set to 60 when the outside lane was empty due to the motorway being quiet. Are they on a timer?
                      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                      X