• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

M4 average speed cameras trap 6,500 in south Wales

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Perhaps you should think to yourself "hey I drove home and didn't see any congestion, aren't these traffic monkey's clever" rather than second guessing them?
    Well explain how this happens every Thursday night when the motorways are quiet. If it was once in a while then yes I could agree that this was to reduce the supply of traffic to a problem further up the road. This isn't what happens. My journey was m40 - No holdups, M42 holdups caused by the variable speed thing, M6. Because the traffic was that light I never used to toll road yet the traffic on the m42 had the speed restrictions on all the time.

Last week I went up and there was one sign slowing things to 60 followed by another to 50 and further up you could see the one lifting the restriction. You could also see that the traffic was light, the 3rd lane was actually totally empty and there was nothing in the road or on the hard shoulder. The restrictions were on for about a mile - how can slowing hardly any traffic for such a short distance onto a motorway with no traffic have any beneficial effect?
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
      Well explain how this happens every Thursday night when the motorways are quiet. If it was once in a while then yes I could agree that this was to reduce the supply of traffic to a problem further up the road. This isn't what happens. My journey was m40 - No holdups, M42 holdups caused by the variable speed thing, M6. Because the traffic was that light I never used to toll road yet the traffic on the m42 had the speed restrictions on all the time.
      I am very impressed that you can see the entire motorway network from your drivers seat, although slightly surprised that using google is beyond you.

I think the problem with your understanding is that you assume that the M42 would be free flowing if there were no variable speed limits. As someone who used to drive down it regularly before this scheme was launched I can assure you this wasn't the case, and I would happily bet that although there is still some congestion that the average journey time is reduced despite an increased volume of traffic. In fact here are some numbers:

Highways Agency - Active Traffic Management

You can tell them how wrong they are here:

Highways Agency - Contact us form
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I am very impressed that you can see the entire motorway network from your drivers seat, although slightly surprised that using google is beyond you.
        I said

My journey was m40 - No holdups, M42 holdups caused by the variable speed thing, M6.

meaning I travelled up the M40 with no holdups. I travelled up the M42 at the speed reduced because of the variable speed thing and then onto the M6 where I again got no holdps. The M42 itself was empty, because, leaving London at 6 I would hit it at some point past 7pm, usually around 7:30. The rush hour ended long ago and that could be seen by there being no traffic on the M40 or on the M42 itself or later on the M6.

My point about seeing the speed limits ahead was to show how stupidly short the restrictions were applied to. 2 of the overhead things were showing reduced speeds and the third was showing that the restriction had been lifted. The 3rd could easily be seen before you went under the second. You tell me how reducing the speed for such a tiny distance and for the tiny number of vechicles on the motorway can effect the state of a motorway further up. Also, tell me why this is the case every single Thursday night!

I think the problem with your understanding is that you assume that the M42 would be free flowing if there were no variable speed limits. As someone who used to drive down it regularly before this scheme was launched I can assure you this wasn't the case, and I would happily bet that although there is still some congestion that the average journey time is reduced despite an increased volume of traffic. In fact here are some numbers:

Highways Agency - Active Traffic Management

You can tell them how wrong they are here:

Highways Agency - Contact us form
        I'm saying, at that time of night unless an accident had occurred, it was allways free flowing. I'm fully aware of the congesstion in that area at peak times as I have done this journey hundreds of times over the years. I did this journey every thursday night from 2001 to 2004, when the scheme was not in place and never had holdups on that bit of road at that time of night. Yes there were significant holdups when they were putting it in place, but the M42 was fine back then, as was the M6, because at 8pm (the time I usually got to the M6) it was quiet also. That is why I used to travel on a Thursday night, because there were no holdups.

In terms of your links, I have no issue with the traffic management on the M42 during peak times - only when it is left on at times when there is obviously no traffic on the road.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
          I said

My journey was m40 - No holdups, M42 holdups caused by the variable speed thing, M6.

meaning I travelled up the M40 with no holdups. I travelled up the M42 at the speed reduced because of the variable speed thing and then onto the M6 where I again got no holdps. The M42 itself was empty, because, leaving London at 6 I would hit it at some point past 7pm, usually around 7:30. The rush hour ended long ago and that could be seen by there being no traffic on the M40 or on the M42 itself or later on the M6.

My point about seeing the speed limits ahead was to show how stupidly short the restrictions were applied to. 2 of the overhead things were showing reduced speeds and the third was showing that the restriction had been lifted. The 3rd could easily be seen before you went under the second. You tell me how reducing the speed for such a tiny distance and for the tiny number of vechicles on the motorway can effect the state of a motorway further up. Also, tell me why this is the case every single Thursday night!

I'm saying, at that time of night unless an accident had occurred, it was allways free flowing. I'm fully aware of the congesstion in that area at peak times as I have done this journey hundreds of times over the years. I did this journey every thursday night from 2001 to 2004, when the scheme was not in place and never had holdups on that bit of road at that time of night. Yes there were significant holdups when they were putting it in place, but the M42 was fine back then, as was the M6, because at 8pm (the time I usually got to the M6) it was quiet also. That is why I used to travel on a Thursday night, because there were no holdups.

In terms of your links, I have no issue with the traffic management on the M42 during peak times - only when it is left on at times when there is obviously no traffic on the road.
          Then write to them and complain using the link above. It's no good telling me cos I can't do anything about it.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
          X