The winter of discontent - Mk II The winter of discontent - Mk II
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1

    More fingers than teeth

    scooterscot is a fount of knowledge

    scooterscot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain
    Posts
    19,417

    Default The winter of discontent - Mk II


  2. #2

    Godlike

    Doggy Styles is a permanent contractor


    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,818

    Default

    Don't tell me - it reminds him of Heath's Tory government.

    Right, now I'll check.

  3. #3

    Godlike

    Doggy Styles is a permanent contractor


    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,818

    Default

    I was wrong as usual, the whole 70s.

    Anyway, he mentions an interesting Evening Standard headline about what to do about students protesting about university fees: The Finals Solution

  4. #4

    Banned

    gricerboy is too good to be a permie


    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    WSM
    Posts
    1,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I was wrong as usual, the whole 70s.

    Anyway, he mentions an interesting Evening Standard headline about what to do about students protesting about university fees: The Finals Solution
    I think I should bring it to your attention, doggy my old golfing buddy, that Hadley is a woman. She's also Jewish so careful with your final solution pun lol!

  5. #5

    doGlike

    SupremeSpod has no reputation

    SupremeSpod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scooterscot View Post
    How the ***** would she know? She's not old enough to remember. ******** big nosed, champagne socialist, lesbian bint.

  6. #6

    Contractor Among Contractors

    Green Mango has no reputation


    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Warrington
    Posts
    1,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    How the ***** would she know? She's not old enough to remember. ******** big nosed, champagne socialist, lesbian bint.
    I think there are some parallels with the 70's.

    I'm concerned about inflation taking off ...

  7. #7

    doGlike

    SupremeSpod has no reputation

    SupremeSpod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Mango View Post
    I think there are some parallels with the 70's.

    I'm concerned about inflation taking off ...
    It's cyclic, Labour get voted in, drop us in the mire, the Tories dig us out, put us on a stable footing, it hurts us financially and so it begins again.

  8. #8

    Godlike

    bogeyman is good enough for Jehovah!

    bogeyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    5,214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    How the ***** would she know? She's not old enough to remember. ******** big nosed, champagne socialist, lesbian, American bint.
    You missed one out.

    Actually I'd quite like to go back to the 1970s. I had a stonking time.

    You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

  9. #9

    doGlike

    SupremeSpod has no reputation

    SupremeSpod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bogeyman View Post
    You missed one out.

    Actually I'd quite like to go back to the 1970s. I had a stonking time.
    Thanks Bog!

  10. #10

    Super poster

    MrMark is too good to be a permie

    MrMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Central London
    Posts
    2,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    It's cyclic, Labour get voted in, drop us in the mire, the Tories dig us out, put us on a stable footing, it hurts us financially and so it begins again.
    You'll find it's the Tory govt of 70-74 (more specifically the "Barber boom") that dropped us in the mire in the 70s. Two years later the IMF were called in...
    I suspect a similar scenario (with political parties swapped) is taking place now. Brown leaves a time bomb (ie uncontrolled spending, qe inflation etc) that will erupt next year or early 2012.
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •