• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good news!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news!

Cancun climate change conference: Britain is urged to impose £15 billion in green taxes - Telegraph

Cancun climate change conference: Britain is urged to impose £15 billion in green taxes

British taxpayers could pay an extra £600 per year in green taxes to help poor countries cope with the floods and droughts caused by climate change, Lord Stern has suggested.

Lord Stern said an extra £15 billion could be raised in taxes on polluting industry and power from coal, gas and petrol. Although the levies will be directly on factories or power stations, eventually it will come down to the consumers.

If every householder was to pay the same amount it would cost £600, although ultimately it is likely to be unevenly distributed as households with more cars or high energy use will pay more.

“People would see these tax rises through electricity, through cars,” said Lord Stern.

Worth every penny to stop soaring temperatures!

Lets tax central heating systems, I'd like to see people pay £1000 every time they put the heating on.

Methane is a stronger greenhouse gas than CO2. How about a fart tax?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      Methane is a stronger greenhouse gas than CO2. How about a fart tax?
      I'd be bankrupt, especially after a few too many pints of bitter

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Worth every penny to stop soaring temperatures!
        I have no faith in climate change models... do I still have to pay?
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Has any of this rise in sea levels actually started yet?

It's just that, with iceburgs the size of Wales breaking off like in Al Gore's video, and arctic ice melting so that submarines can surface at the north pole, I'd have thought seas would have risen by now.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
            Has any of this rise in sea levels actually started yet?

It's just that, with iceburgs the size of Wales breaking off like in Al Gore's video, and arctic ice melting so that submarines can surface at the north pole, I'd have thought seas would have risen by now.
            Yep.

Current sea level rise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Last 100 years

Last 10,000 years

Last 25,000 years
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Ah thanks. Does that mean it's levelling off then?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  Ah thanks. Does that mean it's levelling off then?
                  I think the Holocene graph shows a bit too much "levelling off", reading the notes on wikipedia, it was forced to zero for the current day

about 2mm per year, or 2 meters per 1000 years
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Global warming FFS - in the last 13 years of being in the UK I have never ever had such a cold winter - fooking pay-as-you-go electric meter in all-electric flat does not help either.

Comment

Working...
                    X