Video Camera - advice needed Video Camera - advice needed
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 26
  1. #1

    Banned

    wurzel is too good to be a permie


    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,875

    Default Video Camera - advice needed

    I'm thinking of making some videos as part of a plan B. They'll be embedded in a webpage & will be available for download. They'll be of me in action in the kitchen and out & about in the countryside. I want a decent picture and sound quality is also important as I will be doing a voiceover.

    I know very little about video cameras & I'm wondering if I need to invest in getting a camcorder or whether a compact digital camera would do. Perhaps there's a decent compact out there that has decent video functionality? Any recomendations would be most appreciated.

  2. #2

    Pilchard

    Cliphead has more data than eek

    Cliphead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    55°51'N, 04°12'W
    Posts
    9,653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wurzel View Post
    I'm thinking of making some videos as part of a plan B. They'll be embedded in a webpage & will be available for download. They'll be of me in action in the kitchen and out & about in the countryside. I want a decent picture and sound quality is also important as I will be doing a voiceover.

    I know very little about video cameras & I'm wondering if I need to invest in getting a camcorder or whether a compact digital camera would do. Perhaps there's a decent compact out there that has decent video functionality? Any recomendations would be most appreciated.
    I swear by this baby.

  3. #3

    Contractor 'til I die

    doodab 's job has never been outsourced

    doodab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A bit too close to Wandsworth
    Posts
    16,164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wurzel View Post
    I'm thinking of making some videos ... They'll be of me in action in the kitchen and out & about in the countryside
    For some reason I read this and thought "scarecrow porn"

    A voiceover might be best done after the fact, unless you intend to be in shot with your lips moving in which case a levalier microphone might be a good idea. What sort of budget do you have?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

  4. #4

    Godlike

    Clippy has no reputation

    Clippy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    6,701

    Default

    If this is going to be something you do regularly then, if it was me, I'd go for a camcorder rather than a digital camera as that is what it is designed to do rather than a bolt on feature.

    I looked at getting an entry level HD video camera myself several months ago and the Panasonic HDC-SD60 came up as a good choice of features for the cost.

    Plenty of positive reviews (and awards) too.

    One to consider.

  5. #5

    Banned

    wurzel is too good to be a permie


    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doodab View Post
    A voiceover might be best done after the fact, unless you intend to be in shot with your lips moving in which case a levalier microphone might be a good idea. What sort of budget do you have?
    Don't want to spend a huge amount. Less than a grand. Just want to get something that will produce a result that doesn't look sh!t.

    Need to do the voiceover while I'm on the job so I'll check out your microphone suggestion.

  6. #6

    Pilchard

    Cliphead has more data than eek

    Cliphead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    55°51'N, 04°12'W
    Posts
    9,653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wurzel View Post
    Don't want to spend a huge amount. Less than a grand. Just want to get something that will produce a result that doesn't look sh!t.

    Need to do the voiceover while I'm on the job so I'll check out your microphone suggestion.
    Best result I got yet (on YouTube), was with a £90 Sony standard stills cam that did video as well. For DVD producton I use the cam I linked to earlier.

  7. #7

    My post count is Majestic

    MarillionFan is a fount of knowledge

    MarillionFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    35,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wurzel View Post
    I'm thinking of making some videos as part of a plan B. They'll be embedded in a webpage & will be available for download. They'll be of me in action in the kitchen and out & about in the countryside. I want a decent picture and sound quality is also important as I will be doing a voiceover.

    I know very little about video cameras & I'm wondering if I need to invest in getting a camcorder or whether a compact digital camera would do. Perhaps there's a decent compact out there that has decent video functionality? Any recomendations would be most appreciated.
    I find my webcam or iphone are good enough quality to film my todger. But if you feel it has artistic merit. Knock yourself out.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

  8. #8

    My post count is Majestic

    AtW is a fount of knowledge

    AtW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    51,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I find my webcam or iphone are good enough quality to film my todger.
    Yes that digital zoom is amazing, but I doubt they had what you do in mind

  9. #9

    Batty

    norrahe is NOT a disguised employee

    norrahe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sticks and the City
    Posts
    27,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I find my webcam or iphone are good enough quality to film my todger. But if you feel it has artistic merit. Knock yourself out.
    Is there an electron microscope app on the iphone these days?
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

    Norrahe's blog

  10. #10

    Contractor 'til I die

    doodab 's job has never been outsourced

    doodab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A bit too close to Wandsworth
    Posts
    16,164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I find my webcam or iphone are good enough quality to film my todger. But if you feel it has artistic merit. Knock yourself out.
    Why not take it to the next level?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •